iPhone Could Cost Verizon $5 billion in Subsidies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The MSRP is $600 for the base model but that is after Apple's heft markup. I seriously doubt Apple is selling 13 million iPhones to Verizon at the same price they would sell 1 iPhone to me if I walked into an Apple store.

Anyways, Verizon is offering the iPhone off-contract so get your story correct. It couldn't be in more plain English on the Verizon website.

G

to the user that wants a RUGGED BASIC phone with battery lasting 2+ weeks..get Nokia 1100
its available in Pakistan, not sure of USA.........never seen it in USA

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i would not be surprised if verizon gets more than 50% of the iphone users from at&t by the end of the year... given they release the latest iteration of iphone as well

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
article does not seem accurate, the info listed is only valid if verizon is paying retail for the phones.

If you were to beta test a phone at a site like onlinebeta.com, you will see things like phones where the company them self will offer the phone to you at $100 if you agree to a contract will have a shipping insurance on the shipping slip of about $40, so much for smart phones being so expensive off contract.

before estimates can be made, one must first find out exactly how much the iphone is costing verizon to begin with, for all we know, apple may be selling the devices to verizon at $200 or less to begin with.

Or with what I have seen in android devices in terms of shipping insurance, apple may be charging verizon around $100 per unit when ordered in bulk

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Lethalsami[/nom]to the user that wants a RUGGED BASIC phone with battery lasting 2+ weeks..get Nokia 1100its available in Pakistan, not sure of USA.........never seen it in USA[/citation]

For me, I use the "free" phone that t-mobile gave me, battery lasts around 1 week (I am not a heavy user)

I also keep another old phone in my bookbag, old bar phone with a monochrome screen, pop out antenna and other classic stuff. Very old phone that only makes phone calls and has a alarmclock and a monotone ringer. When left idle, I only need to charge it once every 1.5 months, it has no cellphone plan but it allows emergency calling which makes it a great backup phone

Status
Not open for further replies.