iPhone Developer Stealing Private Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Wow... malware at it's finest.

I think Apple should be sueing these guys too... the bad PR is likely to drop squarely on their heads for leaving a backdoor open to 3rd party dev's.

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Yeah.. everyone knows that you "accidentally" code things to retrieve personal data. Give me a break. And also, if you're apart of this lawsuit, sue on your own. Do not sue as part of a class action lawsuit or you'll get screwed on the payouts. Better you, than a lawyer, takes home the pay.

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
This is exactly the sort of thing the application approval process should prevent, instead it is used to remove competition and control what their end users do.... shame.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]buwish[/nom]It's just a matter of time before Apple gets their claws into this guy too.[/citation]
I want to see it.
How many new assholes will he have (assuming Psystar is any signal of the ferocity of Apple's lawyers).

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
what a name, Boingboing...
Boing
Boing
Boing
Boing

Lets see how 'Information Farming was a bug' goes in court. Good luck looser

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Just another reason for me to never buy an Apple product! It seems that Apple Almighty approves applications that steal data. Wonderful. Apple should have been included in the lawsuit since they "control" what gets on the iPhone and what doesn't.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
In addition Apple says the "process is to keep adverse applications from affecting the iPhone" so it seems that they are culpable on that point.

dontcare_70

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
wow, someone has my phone number. What will I do, I guess you could say everyone has eveyones number, just type 10 digits and you have a phone number. I could see if they had your name address and telephone number and your cell phone harware id's but just a phone number, big F*** deal

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]m3kt3k[/nom]Whats all this again about Apple Products being Malware/Virus free... OHH right this is a "Feature"[/citation]

This just in "gullible" will now be engraved on the back of every new apple product! :p :p :p

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Do you want your number farmed? There's an app for that.

As dontcare_70 says though, other than the knowledge that there's someone active on that phone number with an iphone, what does this 'malware' give away and is it actually a problem?
If it doesn't even tag a name or other details with it there ought not to be too much harm (I'd hope). Unless people fall for the "hello, your iphone was recently used to download X, please confirm your personal details and we will discuss the impact to your account" type of phonecall.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
My comment doesn't take into account if there's a difference between "wireless phone number" and a phone number - I've never heard reference to the former. I suppose it could be a MAC address or something (but then they'd have called it that?)

Status
Not open for further replies.