iPhone Flashmob Aims to Cripple AT&T Network

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Why do so many people have complaints with ATT? Is it just their 3G coverage? Because I have fantastic coverage here in Indiana even in the basement of the building where I work, but I only use it for phone and text.

G

Ugh, I agree with those who mention that it makes more sense for malcontents to cancel their AT&T service than to disrupt that of other individuals. And, yes, I am happy with my 3G coverage here in Central Texas. Now to work on Nationwide WiFi...

tat2demon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Im not sure about AT&T but I'm sure this will teach those pesky people in need of emergency services to take their cell phone business elsewhere.

Seriously though, if this childish prank interferes with even one 911 call I hope everyone that participates gets put in jail.

If you don't like your service, go to another company.

G

You're only asking for iphone support? There are other smart phones on the market, you needn't reinforce the stereo-type that all iphone owners are pretentious pricks. I can easily bring a good seventy BB users to the fight, will our help go unwanted? No offense to Jane, good article.

G

lol

Data stream and voice stream on a 3G phone occupies different spectrum of the bandwidth, it is why you can receive a phone call while surfing the web

as for killing the contract, this may hurt you more if you got an early termination fee attached

as a form of protest this seems somewhat reasonable we are only talking about 1 hour here, sure some users will suffer slower then normal data performance but i would seriously question anyone who is using their iPhone as a host for mission critical data, the point here being is if at&t got a better network infrastructure, such a protest would not be a problem and should not come close to taxing their network

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I am perfectly happy with my ATT network, i can text and call anyone I want and even in places they can't. I could give a rats ass about 3g coverage cause anything worth doing on the internet can be done on my laptop at a wireless hotspot. And if I am somewhere that isn't a hotspot then I shouldn't be there doing work.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Sorry Rand_79 - anyone who relies on at&t 3G for mission critical you are a moron... I have it but I damn sure don't rely on it...

G

I love AT&T very much.My plan ends this month, I will have to renew it.

G

you know, people may be like "hey this is a brilliant idea!"

but when you realize that its going to render and of your iPhones

useless and all of the other phones on the AT&T network you

guys are all going to be pissed ;]

tonewheelmonster

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Seem like a juvenile operation. What exactly does anyone hope to prove by doing this? Why don't we all let our cars run for an hour to show those lousy oil companies what we think of their product! That'll do it.

How about this.. What if a bunch of angry nerds ran data intense apps on ANY network and let's see what happens.

Like the guy above said, some of us like to use our phones for legitimate purposes.

ashrafpasha

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Why AT&T? and why only iphone users? I guess all smart-phone users with data package must try this. As an experiment and not to trouble someone actually.

ardurren

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I honestly cannot believe you guys are not being more supportive of something like this, personally I think its an excellent idea and will be doing my part.

and while i cannot say i have many problems with my AT&T 3g connection i do have a big problem with the fact that the best smart phone on the market comes with the ability to tether blocked and the max download size limited to 10mb.

and the problem is made worse when my carrier announces to the public that they plan to "educate" me on how to conserve their bandwith.. i am forced to pay for an unlimited data plan with my iphone and it is hardly unlimited

if the current situation works for you great! but please do not attempt to degrade those of us who are objective to these restrictions and offenses.. and definitely not to those trying to make a difference.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Aye aye, part of the problem here is that AT&T forces iPhone users into an "unlimited" data plan that is anything but and relatively shoddy to boot. And the guy comparing this to idling our cars to stick it to oil companies is a moron. That is the consumer directly paying more to consume more in an infrastructure that can support it, as opposed to a consumer paying a fixed price for a service that does not even come close to living up to it's claims and hinders further development of mobile devices while the guilty party shifts the blame AND the punishment. AT&T overcommitted by having an exclusive deal with the iPhone since they had nowhere near the infrastructure required to support it reliably. And yes, this should not have any effect on voice calls to 911, though sound clarity has some potential to be impacted. If cellular voice services were carried over IP, however...

G

The funny/ironic part - the iPhone is what is causing the AT&T network to be substandard, and iPhone user's think that crippling it - further will help? (AT&T can simply cut signal to individaul phones so...) If the appletons would stop being simpletons, it would force Apple to create a product that would actually be beneficial in any capacity. Most Apple users are just overwhelmed with joy with anything the Apple produces, Apple could slap an Apple sticker on a stick and people would be pleased with it's performance, completely elated that Apple finnally made a product that encapsulates what users really need - another stick up in a dark area ;)

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
of course they force you into the unlimited data plan do you know how many idiots there are with iphones that have no clue what bandwidth is? It would be a disaster for customer service reps and customer satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.