iPhone Game Saw 95% Piracy Rate on Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtuBrian

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
owned how do they expect to make it pirate proof its the peoples decissions and the point of matter is who is gonna pay 2.99 say for a game that u play then delete cause it is crap to begin with you know what i mean? half these apps that are .99 are garbage the free ones are better

xxzone

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I don't buy this. The percentage gets higher and higher every day. Also, I don't appreciate buying an app that "phones in" to a server without letting me know.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The world of full of cheap bastards...

As a person who is currently working on a title, it disheartens me to see how little people care about the work that goes into making these games. We're trying to make a living providing entertainment for others, and yet $7 is too much to ask. It's very sad.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
And then they give us all that shit about "piracy is killing PC and PSP gaming".

The iPhone has more piracy than both PSP and PC and yet developers keep pumping out applications and games. And why? Because no matter piracy, they still make profits. But the big companies that make the PC and PSP games are just too damn greedy to accept a profit that deviates 5% from their potential sales.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]And then they give us all that shit about "piracy is killing PC and PSP gaming". The iPhone has more piracy than both PSP and PC and yet developers keep pumping out applications and games. And why? Because no matter piracy, they still make profits. But the big companies that make the PC and PSP games are just too damn greedy to accept a profit that deviates 5% from their potential sales.[/citation]

Its not really about making profits or not. its all about "do you have a heart"

think of it, it took you days to create something, then BAM the next minute someone just copied yours and giving it out for free. How would you feel about that?

The "still making profits thats why I am not paying them/they dont need my money/blah blah blah" is just nothing but Greed. in fact, I really hate these people. if you dont want to pay for it, dont play it. Can I just walk into a supermarket and say hey, you guys making millions, I can just grab one here without paying. see what happens. jerk.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]DXWarlock[/nom]thought it was 90% the other daysoon we will see "app store hit by 110% piracy rate!"[/citation]
Haha. The company pirates its own games....

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]CChick[/nom]Its not really about making profits or not. its all about "do you have a heart"think of it, it took you days to create something, then BAM the next minute someone just copied yours and giving it out for free. How would you feel about that? The "still making profits thats why I am not paying them/they dont need my money/blah blah blah" is just nothing but Greed. in fact, I really hate these people. if you dont want to pay for it, dont play it. Can I just walk into a supermarket and say hey, you guys making millions, I can just grab one here without paying. see what happens. jerk.[/citation]
I worked in a supermarket... there's a reason why most cameras point at the employees... and a reason why we found a spot out of site...
So, what makes me a worse person, stealing software or...

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I'm so fed up with people comparing physical stealing with digital piracy. It's not the same thing.

Many of those who pirate either can't afford or just wouldn't buy the software anyway, thus they aren't potential buyers. And no, this can't be compared to physical stealing, because digital copies do not decrease in quantity like physical material does.

I'm not trying to say piracy is good, but it's nowhere near physical stealing. Developers need to stop being greedy and be happy with the revenue their software makes, because it normally makes up more than double the cost of development.

And this coming from an old dev himself.

thecolonel2323

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]This is why people don't make games for Macs. The people who buy macs seem to think they are entitled to things.[/citation]

Of course they are entitled to it. They just paid a metric crap-ton for an overpriced computer and they don't have any money left to buy software.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I agree with Zoonie. Many people can't afford paying for games, and not playing them is not an option. When you go to school/college and all your colleagues talk about how cool is this game, how awesome is that game etc. and asks you if you played that game what would you answer? 'I read a book because I can't afford games?' Reading books isn't the entertainment of choice for young people these days. (I assumed that the vast majority of people pirating games are young.)

[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]So, what makes me a worse person, stealing software or...[/citation]

Yeah, it kinda does. Perhaps a good person, but thats a bad choice to make.

[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]I'm so fed up with people comparing physical stealing with digital piracy. It's not the same thing.[/citation]

It is the same thing. Theft is theft. If you cannot buy the game, dont play the game. Why should you get a copy for free just because you are poor? Start playing tic tac toe if things are that bad.

Ultimately there is no good excuse for it all. People complain about greedy corporations; however, the people hoarding money by not buying products received are greedy as well. Except guess who actually has the law on their side. Hmm, chances say the corporation.

[citation][nom]Horhe[/nom]I agree with Zoonie. Many people can't afford paying for games, and not playing them is not an option[/citation]
Would you jump off a bridge if they did? enough said.

G

Stealing is stealing. When you don't pay for a game, you're stealing the development effort that went in to it, and you have no right to enjoy the game. Whether you were going to buy it or not is absolutely irrelevant. If I were to steal a Ferrari, which I would have otherwise had no intention of buying, I would have stolen the parts, labor and distribution that went into its construction, all of which essentially devolve to human effort. If I steal a game, while much smaller in scale, the logical similarity is absolutely identical - I'm stealing the effort from someone that chose to share that effort in exchange for money.

You have no right to physical assets, and you have no right against someones development efforts.

That being said, 95% seems a bit severe and I suspect that this isn't quite accurate.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Horhe[/nom]I agree with Zoonie. Many people can't afford paying for games, and not playing them is not an option.[/citation]
You're shitting me, right? In this world if you cannot afford to buy something THEN YOU SAVE THE FUCK UP.
There is no game in the world which has a compulsion to own, dont have the money? You do without just like everyone else.
Do you reckon the police will let you off when they catch you with a stolen car and use the excuse "but doing without one just wasnt an option"? Utter rubbish.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I am so sick and tired of people trying to excuse piracy. It doesn't work. Its immoral, so no argument is going to stick. You are telling me that someone who buys and Iphone ($199) and pays about $100 to AT&T each month can't afford a $.99, $1.99 or $7 app. In a previous Tom's article it was said that people who own Apple products are generally better off than those who don't. So, your argument that people can't afford these apps and thus wouldn't buy them anyways FAILS!

Status
Not open for further replies.