Solved! IPhone May Lose Top Market Share to Blackberry

I happened across this interesting article at Forbes (I generally read it weekly, but just came across this tonight) that discusses how the iPhone could be slotted down a notch by RIM's Blackberry next year (perhaps). I don't think the article takes into account the next gen iPhone being released/announced in June and potentially going to Verizon, as I'm sure Apple's market share will skyrocket for awhile after the fact, but interesting never the less. I'm sure you're all thinking I have a bias, but out of full disclosure, I'm a Blackberry man (Tour 9630); never really have found any reason to hop aboard the iPhone train for various reasons (one being AT&T). I do see the appeal of the iPhone though and really, I don't have anything against it or Apple; it's not for me. I've always had US Cellular and have never had an issue with them, i.e. service, customer support, etc...

http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspeculations/2010/03/05/iphone-could-overtake-blackberry-market-share-in-2011/

Solution
Yeah and even that study is one that is about browser share not even phone market share so that # seems overly apple-inflated. I've seen other data which is tottally the opposite direction for Apple. They included that information in their presentation yesterday because it's pretty much one of the few that still shows them in a good light.

Android is growing and is already passing Apple in sales M2M, but the next 2-3 months may be interesting with a new iPhone in channel and they may even grab top spot for a few of those months.

Apple will shout/cheer these numbers for the remainder of this year, but likely never again because they won't be favourable for long. Just like Motorola, Apple is likely to see themselves shifted out of the...

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Yeah and even that study is one that is about browser share not even phone market share so that # seems overly apple-inflated. I've seen other data which is tottally the opposite direction for Apple. They included that information in their presentation yesterday because it's pretty much one of the few that still shows them in a good light.

Android is growing and is already passing Apple in sales M2M, but the next 2-3 months may be interesting with a new iPhone in channel and they may even grab top spot for a few of those months.

Apple will shout/cheer these numbers for the remainder of this year, but likely never again because they won't be favourable for long. Just like Motorola, Apple is likely to see themselves shifted out of the spot light numbers for even browsing, especially once RIM finally gets their Webkit browser.

Of course they never add the phone int'l numbers because then it just looks ridiculous for anyone not named Nokia.

Solution

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
iPhone already loses to Blackberry and has over it's entire existance, so of course we really think that despite your doubts. RIM outsells them with just a single handset, and many times with 2 models outselling iPhone's combined sales.

Do you really think Apple/iPhone really can compete with the others with only 2 variations of the same product?

They will survive, but they will not break the top 3 as long as that's the case.