iPhone Nearly Catches Fire While on an Airplane

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

They should combine the iphone with ibm's new self extinguishing machine

G

@wardler

all electronic devices are required to go through the x-ray machine, including cell phones, some like laptops are required to be taken out of their bags and scan separately in their own tray

but why go through all the hassle of trying to shoe horn a bomb into another device, there's enough energy in a standard laptop battery pack to cause a nice little explosion, all that is required is to disable/remove the safety circuits and short the thing, the energy density of these things are ridiculous, and if you look at the tear down of an iPad 2 you'll see that thing is like 70% battery

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
There was no further explanation what may have caused the smoke and the glow, but it is safe to assume that this was not a standard feature of Apple's smartphone.

You sure apple doesnt consider this a hand warming feature?

G

I bet google staged this in desperate efforts to gain market share

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]Lets ask Siri and see what will she say about this.....[/citation]
apparently she told siri to self destruct.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Stupid people, they don't understand the beauty in Apple's designs when they get that glowing red and smoke. IT'S ART! ART IT TELL YOU!

Oh well, good thing it wasn't cause of a bigger issue. I wonder if they'll make this with "it was held wrong" again.

Cheers!

G

[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]It would also be hard to pack enough punch to cause a worth while amount of damage in such a small case.[/citation]

That's not entirely accurate. The cabin is pressurized and due to this, it wouldn't take much at all to cause serious hard / problems.

Big brother, I'm jus' saying... don't come knocking on my door over a stupid Tom's Guide comment.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Apple Fanbois will sluff this off as nothing, which maybe it is nothing, but if your asking one of them to admit that their beloved device is not perfect..but at least they made this "upgrade" .000125 inches smaller than the previous one, i dont care if the screen is more likely to crack.. i mean cmon, its .000125" SMALLER!!!!!

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
iphones get extreamly hot sometimes. Go in a wird crash state, and cant be turned off. The only way is hope they reboot on its own. Happened to me a couple of times. Had to take my pone out of my pocket, Basically there is supoer high drain on the battery and that makes things hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.