iPhone OS 3.0 Already Cracked for Unlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Is it just me, or does it seem kind of silly to announce this now? I mean, aren't they just giving Apple a head start on fixing this?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
What does Apple care if someone unlocks the phone? The device has already been bought and paid for. The only thing they might have to worry about is security.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Good news for me... I'll be selling my unlocked and jailbroken phone on ebay once I get my hands on an 3gs. They're still going for nearly $200 if not more so should break even against a 3gs 16gb.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]What does Apple care if someone unlocks the phone? The device has already been bought and paid for. The only thing they might have to worry about is security.[/citation]
I'm sure AT&T will be pretty pissed at Apple if they don't fix it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I'm sure AT&T will be pretty pissed at Apple if they don't fix it.[/citation]

I don't really think Apple cares at all if AT&T is pissed. Apple has blessed AT&T with the most sought after phone in the history of mobile phones and AT&T has returned the favor by being slow rolling out 3G upgrades, refusing to enable MMS and refusing to offer a tethering plan either for free or for pay. It seems to me that Apple is pretty upset with AT&T as it is and is looking to jump ship as soon as they possibly can. There are other carriers willing to support all of the iPhone's features and abilities and do it better than AT&T could have ever imagined.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I don't really think Apple cares at all if AT&T is pissed. Apple has blessed AT&T with the most sought after phone in the history of mobile phones and AT&T has returned the favor by being slow rolling out 3G upgrades, refusing to enable MMS and refusing to offer a tethering plan either for free or for pay. It seems to me that Apple is pretty upset with AT&T as it is and is looking to jump ship as soon as they possibly can. There are other carriers willing to support all of the iPhone's features and abilities and do it better than AT&T could have ever imagined.[/citation]
Good point.

Although, Apple may not be as petty as they've proven themselves to be.

DeadlyPredator

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]What does Apple care if someone unlocks the phone? The device has already been bought and paid for. The only thing they might have to worry about is security.[/citation]
Lol, it's unnacceptable for them since they loose their total monopoly, like they don't want you to install OSX on something else than a mac. Apple is EVIL, they want full control and of course your money.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Is it just me, or does it seem kind of silly to announce this now? I mean, aren't they just giving Apple a head start on fixing this?[/citation]
That's why it's not being released until the official software is out first.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
seems to me this is only relevant to people that can't afford to buy an unlocked iphone. they are available, incase you didn't know. the europeans have had them for a while now. i don't care either way but part of the shine of having an iphone is the 'prestige' of owning an overly costly fone. why not just buy an unlocked version and sign up with your provider of choice? is it because you couldn't afford it this way and fear it might break and know your provider won't insure it because you didn't buy it through them? all the hoopla over 'locked in' fones seems to me to be an issue of people not wanting to pay a price that actually reflects the device's worth and isn't subsidized in some way. i don't buy that these fone makers would slow down 'innovation' if they weren't able to push off the price on consumers through contracts because many things in this world are sold and innovation continues without contracts elsewhere... it's just easier to ensure you'll make a certain cut by use contractual obligations. at the end of the day this is all about money and 1. wot we're willing to pay and 2. wot the industry can get us to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.