IPhone Screen Replacement: Where to Buy and How to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepoJ

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I accidentally cracked my iPhone display, and I'm feeling a bit adventurous, so I've decided to replace the screen myself. Will search through for how-tos and all that, but I also wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with iPhone screen replacing, and if they had any tips to share. Appreciate any help! :)

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, if you really want to do everything yourself, you can check out this how-to on SomethingAwful forums (registration required). Pros? Total cost is $5. Cons? You'll need to be quite the handyman, as the process involves cutting a sheet of plastic to size and rounding its edges properly so that it fits on the iPhone.

If that sounds too much for you, you can always check out iPodFixIt to have everything done by someone else (the most expensive option) or buy a spare LCD from Celular Nationwide Network

Hope these help! Let us know how it goes :)

G

hey! if you`re talking about the first generation of iphone and want to change only the glass,it is possible but very hard ! i did it 3 times : 2 times i succeeded and one time(first try) i cracked the digitizer.

you can see repair tutorials and buy quality parts like your lcd digitizer module here .

also keep checking the site they said (facebook post) they`re gonna send free cases for phones (so this way you won`t crack your screen again :)) )

LilacWinee

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
If your iPhone has a section of the screen that is not responding to touch, check out this article from the Apple site: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1827.

You can follow all of the steps they recommend, but if you have a real hardware problem, they probably won't work. The interesting thing is that they will let you bring your iPhone into the Apple store if it has a dead strip on the touch screen *even if* your iPhone is out of warranty.
javascript:%20validform(this);
People have reported that even though their iPhone is out of warranty, if you show up to the store with a verifiable dead strip on the touch screen, they'll replace your iPhone with a new one of the same model (no free 3G upgrade).

Status
Not open for further replies.