iPhone Used to Locate Friends, Enemies in War

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Texting while fighting, shouldn't there be a law against that, it sounds dangerous

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
While this sounds kinda cool, and I applaud Raytheon's efforts, I'm not so sure I would want to rely on an iPhone for planning troop movements, or for communications between soldiers. This is not a dis of the iPhone, but rather an acknowledgement that it is a consumer-grade communications device, not a hardened and thoroughly tested communication device suitable for use on a battlefield.

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
What some people still fail to realize is an external electronic device can never tell you Person X is at Y location. It can only report that Device X is at Y location. I don't know about the rest of you, but my phone does not distinguish me from anyone else or a trash bin, even if it says "I'm" in y location.
The concept has some merits, but the implementation is horrid. Such an Idea can only work if the electronic device is implanted into said person and is being transmitted with encryption (unlike the video from the drone!). Then just hope your security can stay steps ahead of the enemy from hacking the network. I don't want a computer system being hacked and making another Haroldo moment. "we are in Y city on a secret mission about to go after X cell...Remember folks at home, it is a Secret Mission!.."

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
on a side note.. Imagine your on a mission and its 3:00 am. Your about to make a move on a cell, and your iPhone rings. Playing the tune from the old flash video "come on mr. taliban turn over bin laden"...

9d3tsi

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
What if your enemy doesn't have an Iphone? I could see a benefit for training, or maybe EMT services. It doesn't seem practical for a military application. Didn't some just hack drones with some "off the shelf" software? It would seem to me that something like this could be exploited and could be used against you. After all, nothing is "unhackable".

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
does it require 3G coverage? I don't trust ATT to even make calls, let alone tell me where the good guys are.

Also wonder if they would force the military into a 2year contract?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
It sounds like a pretty cool idea specially if the mission is taking place in somewhere w/ cell phone coverage.

Though is developed by the military, I feels like it will be more useful for CIA, FBI, or SWAT.

Just like many people addressed above, I am kind of worry about the security of the network/device and the reliability of the device. Maybe they need to develop some device like Nike (for running) did and have it attached to the user to make sure the device is not holding by the wrong person.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
One drop onto the ground and the phone is rendered useless. The good thing is you could easily destory it before your enemy gets a hold of your intel.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
by the way... it will look very funny to have an iphone attached weapon.

hmmm... imaging playing an iphone attached M16/AK47/ or... in modern warfare 3...... hmm... I guess I will pass it....

lol

ichbinyogi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Socnom[/nom]What some people still fail to realize is an external electronic device can never tell you Person X is at Y location. It can only report that Device X is at Y location. I don't know about the rest of you, but my phone does not distinguish me from anyone else or a trash bin, even if it says "I'm" in y location.The concept has some merits, but the implementation is horrid. Such an Idea can only work if the electronic device is implanted into said person and is being transmitted with encryption (unlike the video from the drone!). Then just hope your security can stay steps ahead of the enemy from hacking the network. I don't want a computer system being hacked and making another Haroldo moment. "we are in Y city on a secret mission about to go after X cell...Remember folks at home, it is a Secret Mission!.."[/citation]

True, but they can still send a couple snake eaters or whatever to that location and you better hope your not there.

Also this is a demo and they used the Iphone to demonstrate the tech of the programs the created and that it can be used on a simple device such as the Iphone. This isnt a GI issue thing, its a demo "hey look what we can do"

whobannedme

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
iPhone Down! iPhone Down! Over...We need assistance immediately. Anyway, how are they going to implement the device? On the person or weapon or what? What if they lose the device and they have no location of this person, then an air strike takes him out because he wasn't in the correct position. I wouldn't feel comfortable using this other than an entertainment device.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
What happens when an enemy soldier recovers one of these devices? They know where all the other troops are, and they can use it as a decoy.

And why the iPhone? Wouldn't something with well tested hardware be a better device?

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
so... the iphone has turned in to a backup grenade is the impression I'm getting from this article... seeing as how often it blows up in peoples pockets anyways, why not just chuck it at an enemy before it blows

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]While this sounds kinda cool, and I applaud Raytheon's efforts, I'm not so sure I would want to rely on an iPhone for planning troop movements, or for communications between soldiers. This is not a dis of the iPhone, but rather an acknowledgement that it is a consumer-grade communications device, not a hardened and thoroughly tested communication device suitable for use on a battlefield.[/citation]
+1, However, this could be used by undercover CIA,FBI,DEA,etc.or as a tertiary level back up

Status
Not open for further replies.