iPhone Users Pick Obvious iPhone Passcodes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Furthermore, despite there being 10,000 possible combinations,

If there are only 10,000 possible combinations, then everyone might as well just use 0000 unless you only get a limited number of attempts. It is hardly going to take very long to automate going through every combination anyhow.

[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]this is not suprising, after 8 zillion stories not to use 'password" as a password people still do it... most people just dont care, especially thou who are poor and just got in iphone to look cool...[/citation]

Going by my customers most wealthy people don't either. Really it's not so much that they don't care it's just they have no system for storing passwords securely or pattern of passwords. Thus they never remember them and try to make them as simple as possible.

To compound the problem. Different companies have different standards for passwords. Some require letters, numbers and symbols while others don't allow symbols. Some say 8 digit minimum while others may say 6-8 or 8-10 &c.

Really all websites and online services need to use one standard. Lets say must be at least 4 digits with no maximum and they can use any mixture of letters, numbers and symbols. That way people who do not care or do not worry can have something simple. And those that do can use a phrase translated into Klingon using numbers and symbols in place of random letters.

G

I know it's not the right thing to assume, but could the graph tell us that if there are 882 people who use 1998, there are 882 teenagers with simple passcodes that were born in 1998? 1998 is the only passcode that has relevance to time. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Compulsive1

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
"secondly, why are 5683 and 1998 "obvious" passwords? just because they're common doesn't mean the person who put them in is retarded. "

5683 spells LOVE on phone keypad. 1998 I'm not sure about.

G

@Rab1d-BDGR

you missed the part where the iPhone wipes itself if too many failed attempts have been detected......

@alidan

If that was the case then change your online banking password to 12345....... and if you got too many online accounts that you cant remember all the passwords then you need to get a life.... or a password vault, then you only ever need to remember one, it's a damn tech site and you never discovered what a password vault is, sometimes i feel like nerds today are not like what they used to be

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]SelfWiping[/nom]@Rab1d-BDGRyou missed the part where the iPhone wipes itself if too many failed attempts have been detected......[/citation]

Interesting... could be a cruel trick to play one someone's iPhone!

G

@Rab1d-BDGR

lol yes very cruel trick, whats the bet most iPhone users have this function turned off by default.... so maybe you were right in the first place

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]2580 is the 3rd most likely? Am I missing something here?[/citation]

4 keys down the centerline...

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]duk3[/nom]I'm surprised 1337 and 9001 aren't on the list[/citation]

Why would those ever have been on the list? They are obscure geek references and/or jargon that the average and majority of iPhone users have probably never heard about.

This the a list of the most common passwords. It can't be common if it's obscure. They are mutually exclusive.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]firstly, this isn't news, this is common sense that probably a good 20 percent of people, even the technologically inclined, choose shit passwords. secondly, why are 5683 and 1998 "obvious" passwords? just because they're common doesn't mean the person who put them in is retarded.[/citation]
I agree...

Also... i know there are testes of PC users passwords which have the same resultes...

most used passwords:
God
your birthday
names...

same ol' there will always be people who dont feel having a strong password is important.

I would even go on a limb and bet that most people on this site have simple passwords to crack for thier toms PW. This is my Toms password qG@KDr+s2wkU no lies... i changed a couple letters and posted it here. guess what my iphone4 password is? 1974 (the year i was born)
the difference? well my toms password anyone can try and hack into for fun via the internet. My Iphone4 password allows you 10 attemps and everything is wiped AND you have to have it in your hand, SO you beat me to death to get it.

G

I usually use obscure government document numbers like from the Department of Defense or US Army docs. I just have this feeling that thieves are less likely to join the military and do a hard day's work so I should be good. :D

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Who bow down to Apple? Why not turn to Android? The more you give in to Apple, the more evil it gets. Are you rather to be controlled or be living free?

Status
Not open for further replies.