iPhone X Is King of OLED Screens: See for Yourself

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freediverx

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
> The only time brightness is that high is when 1% of the display is lit up white and the rest is black (off).

Well if this is accurate, then it means that DisplayMate's reviews are misleading as hell, since they cite the absolute max brightness as a key benchmark for readability without explaining that it only applies in that ridiculous edge case scenario (1% white against black background.)

larrygdavis10

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
What a blatant bunch of lies. A note is 1200 nits. I have the note 8 and the wife is getting her X tomorrow so I will see whict one needs to run to the shade. I lnow it's not my note.

calikingjames

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
B.S.... This is garbage. You couldn't research your way out of kindergarten with this garbage collection of misinformation.

mulleady

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Once upon a time Tomsguide was an independent and objective wwebsite. This article has poorly supported opinions, a distinct lack of research and glaring technical inaccuracies. Pure clickbait and Apple biased.

jc16sanchez

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
I just stop reading when a read about the nits. It just make me laugh. People who write articles like this just make me sick.

davidb23a

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Fake News

Actual stats:
NOTE 8 - 532 ppi and 1200 nits of brightness
IPhone X - 458 ppi and 625 nits of brightness

davidb23a

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
You either dont know what you are doing, or your meter is bad. The actual stats on this comparison from folks with the ability to use a meter:

NOTE 8 - 532 ppi and 1200 nits of brightness
IPhone X - 458 ppi and 625 nits of brightness

Of course Samsung is going to keep the better screen for themselves.

sohailusman142

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
This is photo shopped and the article is completely biased. Samsung has been working for years to refine their AMOLED display, I can't believe anybody believe this simple trick photography

ndale1000

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
as said this article is typical of the toms guide industry fluff pieces ! you ignore important facts that show a phones deficiencies "you've never met a phone you didn't like " i question your accuracy and objectivity show some graphs and charts comparing instead of flowery speech saying this but NOT that! become a real reviewer ! (you won't )

takashilater

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

That's the problem when people spout off statistics.... but people like to grab onto a number. It's something they can understand. Reminds me of the whole Android Devices have more RAM argument all over again. Optimizing for real-world use is DIFFERENT than plopping a number. Once you start highlighting your numbers, you start engineering to get the numbers up instead of actually making a better product.

takashilater

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

But ARE they? Profit margins on Samsung devices are lower overall and they sell FAR LOWER volume. Considering the VOLUME of displays that Apple needs, it's not surprising that Apple can afford to spend more money on the display than Samsung. They can distrubute R&D costs over a WAY larger number of units. Samsung the OLED manufacturer and Samsung the Electronics company are different entities.

takashilater

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Samsung Display makes screens for Samsung Electronics as well. This, overall, is good for Samsung Display. They will be able to offer similar displays to Samsung Electronics for their next gen phone. The S9 should improve considerably due to this and you can bet they've got their engineers already working on how to reverse engineer the True3d camera.

takashilater

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Don't let facts get in the way of reality... and perhaps you should look at what 1,200 nits really means. It's not what you think and is a meaningless statistic.

takashilater

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Tom's takes their reviews seriously and they are measuring the actual brightness. The Galaxy Note 8 has a maximum theoretical brightness of 1200 nits, but that is only when 99% of the screen is black and all the power is going to 1% of the screen. It's a common metric to measure maximum brightness. Apple mentioned that it's 600 nits of brightness.

Apple rarely puts emphasis on stats and prefers a more holistic approach. They don't make RAM a selling point. Likewise, they're not going to spout off the maximum theoretical brightness you can possibly achieve because in the real world, no one cares. They also don't supply the maximum dB level of their speakers. 600 nits is what Apple said it will do, and this test confirm this.

But no, apparently Tom's is paid off by Apple if they give a "glowing" review. Hypocrites. When has Apple EVER paid for reviews? On the other hand, remember when Samsung was paying celebrities to use their phones to build mindshare?

You can hate the phone, or hate the notch, but why not just be happy with whatever choice you make and stop hating on Apple. It just makes you look like a fanboy. And no one likes a fanboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.