iPhone XR Review: The Best iPhone for the Money

sheltem

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Since the XR only has a 2x2 antenna design, have you noticed any differences in reception between the XS and XR?

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
@sheltem Not in terms of LTE performance but open to feedback on other testing.

Nov 14, 2018
Just made a comment and it didn't post. Very disappointing.

It was in response to the comment about the 2x2 antenna design being a negative factor. As Tom and others know by now PC Mag.com just recently wrote a VERY critical article about this antenna situation and concluded that it was a black mark against the XR. The author Sascha Segan all but pounded a stake through the heart of the XR. I am hoping that someone will address this serious criticism and debunk it, if possible. I just bought a new XR ONE week ago and this will be in the back of my mind now.

This reviews is really amazing and so thorough. My compliments to Mark for his detail. Perhaps in the near future he will read Sascha's damning article and offer some rebuttal.

Nov 14, 2018

My XR reception in low-signal rural areas has been as good as any phone I have ever experienced. That said, I have no doubt the XS would have faster download speeds in high signal areas. But the download speed of the XR in a strong signal areas is more than fast enough for my needs. I have trouble envisioning a scenario where 100+ Mbps isn't fast enough.

Nov 14, 2018

The PC Mag review only tested the high frequency band 4. In low-signal areas a phone is much more likely to use a low frequency bands such as 12,13,14,17 or 71. FCC testing shows the XR antenna has superior performance versus the XS. See www.wiwavelength.com.

So, XS throughput king, XR rules reception in low-signal areas.

Nov 14, 2018
I haven't had enough opportunities to do a series of speed tests yet, Certainly, at home on WiFi I get excellent results using Speedtest.net app for iPhone. I am on Spectrum internet with the 100 Mbps plan. I get about 118 Mbps Down CONSISTENTLY and over 12 Upload which is higher than ever. I will have to do more testing in various areas to see how it compares.