iPhone XS Drop Tests: Watch It Survive an 11-Foot Drop on Concrete

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi @bobdupuu. We actually covered their testing separately, as well as others. But we wanted to conduct our own tests.

Sep 28, 2018
Independent? Maybe, but certainly not unbiased. Asking Squaretrade to test something to see if you need to buy an extra warranty is like asking a car salesman if you need to buy a new car. Use Applecare, a case, and (if you can) buy it on a reputable credit card that offers even more protection.

bobdupuu

Estimable
Jul 7, 2018
My point was that it would be more unbiased to include a mention of the results of other comparable reports. Also, I'm not sure we can rule out the possible bias of Mr. Spoonauer, based on a review of other articles on iPhones he has written. I completely agree that most of these drop tests are irrelevant, given that they are done with no protection at all. Did I get this right? The iPhone XS passed, but the XS Max failed.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi, I went back and added a mention of SquareTrafe report. As noted by another commenter, they exist to sell extended warranties so take for what it’s worth. The point of the test was to see how the phones would fare without a case and to anecdotally test Apple’s claims around the glass. Neither phone failed. Both passed from 11 feet, which we thought sufficient. I simply wanted to see what would happen from 20 feet, and we did that with Max only.