iPod, iPhones Banned in Bill Gates' Family

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I read about this on Engadget earlier today. This article reads like it was written by someone who also read the article then wrote stuff down from memory.

"the wife of the former Microsoft CEO, Melinda Gates"
Why don't you be a little more unclear?

I'd also like to second the comment about the Zune thing. Is Tom's Guide a news site or a blog?

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
The iPod touch is the ONLY apple mp3 player I've ever wanted. I would consider getting it, but I still have a perfect condition COWON D2 that had a touchscreen long before apple.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I don't have a iPod or iPhone, and I'm managing perfectly fine.

One doesn't need an iPod or iPhone to live a life. I have a Cowon S9, perfectly fine with that...

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
"forbidden fruit"!!! That's a funny line.

I like Apple just fine, but I would like them better if they would stick to ipods and keep the iphone and imac commercials off of my tv.

I have an ipod even. I wouldn't mind a zune, the ipod just looks a little bit smaller to me, but after the nighmare of installing itunes I was wishing for a zune.

You better believe if I was creater of Microsoft my kids would be forbidden from owning an apple product. And if I was president of GM or Ford I would drive through the company parking lots with a tow truck and eliminate any competitor's products.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
It only makes sense that they would be not allowed or urged not to buy Apple product. You wouldn't see people from Intel using AMD in their home computers. If they did, they should be fired as they are too stupid to be involved in the industry.

"Does this mean Bill’s kids are stuck with Zunes? Ouch."

Sometimes I think that TH writes certain articles just to stir up both sides of the MS/Apple cold war. Are you guys at TH having some kind of fanboy Olympics? Is this an organized event with prizes? If so, Where do I sign up? I choose to be on team Microsoft. I am certain that I can write articles to stir up Mac fanboys.

The reason I speak in jest is that the above statement in quotation marks does not belong in any serious article. You may as well have articles that are titled " Macs suck when it comes to value" or "Microsoft is an evil corporation" or " Apple, the most expensive obsolete parts that money can buy"

All of the above is true but has no place on a serious site.

You follow?

MrF430

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]theubersmurf[/nom]You know it's funny, I get the feeling you're a hater of apple if choosing a well established piece of hardware raises so much of your ire. |fanboy|=|hater|:: roughly, the absolute value of a fanboy is equal to the absolute value of a hater. I don't see the difference between the two, simply one is positive and one negative.[/citation]

WHAT!?!?!? NO COMMENTING ON MY AWESOME USAGE OF "&⌠╢├$♣nw╟Rü" THE CLEVERNESS ALONE SHOULD HAVE EARNED ME MY OWN COMDEY SPECIAL!!!!

Hahaha, in all seriousness though. Im not a hater of Apple products by any means, I have owned and still own a few apple products. However, in my personal experience, I enjoy my Zune much more than my previous iPODs! Maybe its because I have never had a problem with the battery life being half full after an entire night of charging my Zune, or the unexplainable reoccuring Sad Faces that cause for me to format my entire device, or the freezing/restarting, or the slow uninspiring interface. No product is perfect, but MY experience with BOTH products makes me a fan of one over the other. If the Zune were to do me wrong, I would most definitely look elsewhere and possibly move over to another product, especaially if it did it continuously regardless of which generation product I paid my hard earned money for! I can understand a bit of brand loyalty if it comes from years of happy reliable service, but to blindly follow Apple or MS or Sony or Chevy or ____ just beacuse its the in thing, thats just plain stupid!

However I must state that I absolutely cannot stand people that like to post nonsense talking trash about a product in which they most probably have never used let alone touched, because its from a competing company than who they hold some insane allegiance toward.

Bottom line is that they both offer something to their users, IMO the Zune does it at a better price with better hardware and software, again that is my personal opinion that comes from my personal experience.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]MrF430[/nom]Bottom line is that they both offer something to their users, IMO the Zune does it at a better price with better hardware and software, again that is my personal opinion that comes from my personal experience.[/citation]It's good that you say that, because your first post sounds as if it were objective...

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I love my zune too. I walk in the door and my favorite shows (which I record for free with media center) automatically sync with my zune.
When I am at the gym, my favorite shows are there with me. So I watch my 3 inch screen zune. It holds about 250 hours of video.

I agree with MrF430, I think people should resist comparing two products without having experienced both.

I am not stuck with any one brand. And I will not go down with a sinking ship. I can jump at anytime. Show me better value along with performace, and I will jump ship.

I was a fan of AMD for 6 years, but then core2duo came along.
Now all Apple has to do is offer a I7,6 gigs of ddr3,4870x2, a fairly fast hard drive with a 25.5 1080p monitor for $2400. You would also have to put this into a high end case with great cooling.

Too much to ask?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
There are other devices with similiar functionality, you know, besides ipod (I am still shocked by software restrictions of this device) and Zune. Sony Walkman 8xx series (my favourite), for example.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
@Tekkamanraiden: I was referring to Melinda. :)

Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

Maybe it's wrong to say they're stuck with Zunes, but I think it's wrong they don't have a choice. It seems a little petty to me. Besides, there are countless execs using products that aren't their own just to see what the competition has come out with. There's also the fact that Melinda said she sometimes wants an iPhone.

“Every now and then I look at my friends and say, ‘Ooh, I wouldn’t mind having that iPhone.’”

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]E7130[/nom]Well, I am sure that the CEO of Pepsi feels like a coke from time to time, but its something you just don't do.[/citation]
Depends on how you are really. Porche bought a new Nissan GTR when Nissan claimed to have beaten Porche's best track time (in a production road car) on the Nuremburg ring. They did so to try if it was true (and they couldn't replicate it before the turbo wore out)

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Ha! I owned a Creative Zen. Worst purchase I ever made. You'll have to find better (if there were better products out there) products to make the argument viable.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]MrF430[/nom]Compare the Zune to the iPOD (not touch) the Zune has it beat in features, UI, price, reliability, hardware, earphones! the list can go on and on...[/citation]

My buddy recently bought a Zune (250gig i believe), he is computer illiterate so I went over to his place and hooked it up, got his tunes going and whatnot. I like it far more then Ipod… One MAJOR feature is the lack of ITunes. I did feel the casing felt a little flimsy, but never tested this theory!

I’m +1 for Zune over Ipod.

Status
Not open for further replies.