IRS Finding Tax Dodgers via Facebook, MySpace

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
The second biggest scam is commercial anti-virus software. You are sold the product, and then you are tied into a perpetual, compulsory 'update' service. It should by all rights last the lifetime of the operating system it is designed to protect. It should also come bundled with a decent imaging program for when the protection "doesn't do it's job" either that or offer a 100% money back guarantee if it fails perform as advertised. If anti-virus software was a motorcycle helmet, you would pay full price for it, then have to pay an annual subscription to get new graphics on the shell every year. And if you fall and your head cracks open cause the helmet doesn't work, you are on your own, no recourse for the protection you paid for.

G

The problem is that the govt feels entitled to a cut of any monetary transaction that takes place. The income tax and IRS were created after WW1, which consisted of the top 1% of earners paying 5% of their income. Fast-forward about 100 years, and we have literally over 100 different taxes, on top of our progressive 30-50% income tax.

On that note, THANK GOODNESS we spent about US $10trillion "fighting" the cold war, we didn't launch a single nuke, but we damn sure looked butch to those mean old Soviets, and made quite a few millionaires in the defense contracting business, all while scaring the shit out of our parents with a more-or-less imaginary threat. PS: Sputnik is watching you.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Ya, I don't think the general public should be able to know what I've been up to.. it's really none of thier business. So, I don't don't have any pages execpt for facebook which has limited access until you are accepted as a friend.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I think it is amazing how most people are just "OK" with this tax. It is not only unconstitutional, it is downright stealing money from the very people that make this country.

What will it take for everyone to wake up? Why is it that people believe there is some kind of ruling elite? The people that made these "rules" and "laws" are just humans. They are made of the same thing that you and are. Nothing special.

The whole point of scaring people into paying taxes is that they then feel obligated, and if they feel obligated they then feel as though everyone else is obligated, and if everyone else is obligated and there is someone who chooses not to pay ... WELL they are the outsiders. They are the ones in the wrong. These laws have turned us against one another. We have all lost touch with the fact that we are all just humans.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"The tax system of the US needs to be completely torn down and redone. Put taxes solely on services and consumption. No irs needed, no tax laywers, no tax accountants, etc. Just pay your tax at point of sale, and you are done."

I like that idea. I think this would save corporations money because they would not have to pay for all those people mentioned. And the government would save money because there would be no IRS. (One less {unoffical} branch of government). This would also help corporations cut back on waist. If companies are saving more then products can be offered for lower prices. But the lower prices would even out because the government would not able able to servive on 6 or 7 percent of whatever it is. Even if the tax was 15% I would be able to keep more for my 401K and in my savings. 15% would still be less consumable tax than my current 25%. (Which is total BS btw)

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Eh. I'm a fair tax hippie, but as a small business owner, I feel that you have to pick some way to support your government and nation. Either pay taxes or pick up a gun. Regardless of how many problems I have with our government, I'm still living here and so I still respect them because that's what you do when you're a decent person that doesn't whine all the time.

G

Ramar: Congress doesn't represent the people anymore, and hasn't in a long time(note the wildly unpopular policies of the last 9 years to be shoved down our throats). Tax dissent and even evasion is patriotic, the majority of congress should be on trial for corruption charges, "we the people" don't owe them a thing, especially not our money. Stop being such a sheep.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]Ugh, again... isn't facebook meant to be PRIVATE? i thought that was it's whole advantage over MySpace?[/citation]

ive heard people say Facebook is like MySpace except for adults ... but i've never really thought of Facebook as being any more "private" than its massively inter-connected social network competitors. i mean, it appears to be just a big (a really, really big) PHP app, right? so how secure and private can that be? and, to be fair, does it need to be secure and private? its not like anybody's trading futures or steering the space shuttle with it, right? it's free and i imagine that the login is more for "personalization" than for "privacy".

this article does make a me a bit more paranoid now of that new intriguing message i just received from a cute Facebook girl saying they're a friend of someone i know, and that someone we both know suggested we "get to know each other better". uh huh. right. so now i have to be not just concerned its some homeless dude typing at me from the public library in his sweat pants ... now i have to be concerned whether or not its the freakin IRS too?!

turns out my mom was right when she said, Dont talk to strangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.