Is 1Gb RAM sufficient for a totally lag-free experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kullmar

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi, I've had the Sony Xperia Sola for about 1,5 years now and I'm getting to the point where I want to smash it in the wall. From the start the touch screen has been horrendous; texting has been an absolute nightmare because it isn't accurate at all. After about 6 months of usage it started getting slow and now when I open the browser I have to wait up to one minute until I can write anything in the navigation bar. It registers every keystroke extremely slowly.

Now, after deciding to never touch a Sony phone again I'm looking for alternatives. I don't think it's really worth putting a lot of money on a smartphone since they break easily and get old fast. Hence I'm looking for an Android phone around the 200€ mark and recent articles about the new Motorola Moto G got me curious. It really seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment, but I was wondering how much the 1 Gb RAM will bottleneck the CPU? I will be using my phone primarily for websurfing, of course it would be nice to be able to play some emulated games but it's not a necessity.

TLDR;
Is it better to have a phone with 2Gb RAM and a dual core processor or one with 1Gb RAM and a quad core, for websurfing and light multi-tasking? With "better" i'm referring to performance.

blowsomemetal

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
if your not running every app in the world at the same time the quad will do way better, but at the expense of ram,, you might be able to multi task more with the 2 gb of ram but you will be held back significantly by the duo

nitin01

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
1,5 years now and I'm getting to the point where I want to smash it in the wall. From the start the touch screen has been horrendous; texting has been an absolute nightmare because it isn't accurate at all. After about 6 months of usage it started getting slow and now when I open the browser I have to wait up to one minute until I can write anything in the navigation bar. It registers every keystroke extremely slowly.
Now, after deciding to never touch a Sony phone again I'm looking for alternatives. I don't think it's really worth putting a lot of money on a smartphone since they break easily and get old fast. Hence I'm looking for an Android phone around the 200€ mark and recent articles about the new Motorola Moto G got me curious. It really seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment, but I was wondering how much the 1 Gb RAM will bottleneck the CPU? I will be using my phone primarily for websurfing, of course it would be nice to be able to play some emulated games but it's not a necessity.

nitin01

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
2GB RAM are not necessary, but 512MB, as found on many budget phones, really is not enough
so I’d suggest at least 1GB. And no, quad core CPUs are not required but again, a single core processor has the potential to get bogged down at times, so a dual-core would be much better. If I had to compromise on either memory or the CPU, I’d sooner have the slower processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.