scipioafricanus40

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
I have a desktop at my mom's house that has a core i5 3570 (non k), 8gb of ram and an r9 270 2gb. But I really hate lugging it around when I go to my dads, and there really isn't room to set up a desktop there. I was thinking of selling the parts of my desktop pc and using that money towards getting this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-hp-sandblasted-hairline-brushing-and-carbon-fiber/5902586.p?skuId=5902586
It's an HP Omen with an I7 7700hq and an Rx 580. The games I mostly play are BF1, Mount and Blade Warband, Total war games, and SWTOR. Will this be a big upgrade? Because I want to use it as more of a desktop at my mom's seeing as I already have everything, and then just get a mouse to keep at my dads so I can game there as well. I'm at my dad's 3 days a week and I get bored a lot just watching youtube videos. Should I bite the bullet on this laptop? It seems like a really good deal. Will the 7700hq be better for gaming than my i5 3570? Definitely don't want a side grade in my processor. Thanks for all the help.

Solution
Let's address your concerns one by one:

"Will this be a big upgrade?" Compared with your current desktop, it'll be a significant upgrade. Considering the games you've mentioned, it'll be an astronomical upgrade.

"I want to use it as more of a desktop" The Omen weighs in at 8.22lbs, so it's going to be a 'desktop replacement' whether you want it to or not.

"Will the 7700hq be better for gaming than my i5 3570?" Yes, most definitely yes. Note, however, that you're probably not going to register that much of difference with the games you've listed in your post. But the Omen will open a whole new field of sophisticated AAA game titles for you to consider over the next 2 to 3 years.

"Should I bite the bullet on this laptop?" Yes, most...
Let's address your concerns one by one:

"Will this be a big upgrade?" Compared with your current desktop, it'll be a significant upgrade. Considering the games you've mentioned, it'll be an astronomical upgrade.

"I want to use it as more of a desktop" The Omen weighs in at 8.22lbs, so it's going to be a 'desktop replacement' whether you want it to or not.

"Will the 7700hq be better for gaming than my i5 3570?" Yes, most definitely yes. Note, however, that you're probably not going to register that much of difference with the games you've listed in your post. But the Omen will open a whole new field of sophisticated AAA game titles for you to consider over the next 2 to 3 years.

"Should I bite the bullet on this laptop?" Yes, most definitely yes. At $1,100 it's a very attractive proposition. Note, however, that it does use a mechanical HDD - you might consider saving up for a 256GB M.2 SSD and migrate the OS onto that, and keep your games on the HDD.

If you're still on the fence about the Omen, here's a link to BestBuy's customer review section:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/reviews/hp-omen-by-hp-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-hp-sandblasted-hairline-brushing-and-carbon-fiber/5902586

Solution