Is a Gtx 1070 enough for good Vr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnio

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
Last Christmas I was lucky enough to get all the parts to build what I think is a strong gaming/editing pc
Specs:
Gtx 1070 Founders Edition
I7-7700k
16GB Ram
And so this year I was hoping to plunge into Vr and get a Htc Vive which comes with Fallout Vr. However I am anxious that my Gtx 1070 won’t be able handle upcoming big Vr games such as Fallout vr and so I am wondering if it will be more advantageous for me to get a stronger graphics card and wait until I am comfortable and assured that my Vr experience will be a smooth one or will the Gtx 1070 be strong enough to give a smooth vr experience for the upcoming big vr games in the years to come?
Ps. I understand that there will always be a better card for vr such as a gtx 1080 but does it make sense to wait and get a stronger card so I can have a better time in Vr or will the difference that it will make be that much of a driving force?

Solution
I use the Oculus Rift with touch controllers with my new build (see signature) and I can get a steady 90+ fps in most games with the pixel density set to 2 in the Oculus debugging tool to help with readability of text. Your PC should definitely be able to run most VR games with little to no stuttering.

PS: The Oculus rift can be easily used (roomscale) with 2 sensors that are ~14 feet apart if you don't mind some tracking errors here and there towards the edges of your play area.

Sakkura

Distinguished
The GTX 1070 should be plenty.

If you're worried about performance, you could consider the Oculus Rift instead. Not only is it cheaper (more money left for PC upgrades), but it also has the ASW feature that helps a lot if performance is falling short.

sps02121985

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018

I got the same build as him and Fallout 4 vr lags here and there on the vive. SS @1.2 to help with reading text.

takochako

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
I use the Oculus Rift with touch controllers with my new build (see signature) and I can get a steady 90+ fps in most games with the pixel density set to 2 in the Oculus debugging tool to help with readability of text. Your PC should definitely be able to run most VR games with little to no stuttering.

PS: The Oculus rift can be easily used (roomscale) with 2 sensors that are ~14 feet apart if you don't mind some tracking errors here and there towards the edges of your play area.

Solution

toshibitsu

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I picked up a Lenovo Explorer for $150(only reason why was the price). Planning on using it with my gaming laptop. It's an MSI 18.4", i7-6820HK , 16GB DDR4, Dual GTX 1070 Video Cards. I'm hoping I'll be able to use this with Doom VR , Fallout 4 VR, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.