Is a Nvidia Shield Portable with a 7" touchscreen monitor possible?

Minipianoman

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
It's kind of an odd question, but I have to ask. I was looking into a cheap android tablet (because why not) and was really considering the Amazon fire, when the thought struck me: I already have the shield portable, can I connect it to a 7" screen via the hdmi port and use it as a tablet? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know much about how the shield works (navigation buttons?), so it may or may not be possible, but I thought I'd ask.

Solution

Correct HDMI is one way. Now since the shield has a controller you can move the mouse pointer on the screen, but no nothing otherwise.

The touchscreen would need to have some sort of bluetooth connectivity to do that. This sounds like something that I'm sure someone could build/program/ etc, you'd likely need more hardware than this, but you can get a 7 inch tablet for under $200 these days.

Minipianoman

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015

I happen to have had, at one point, a portable 7" touchscreen for the raspberry pi. Do you mean that I won't have touch functionality through the hdmi? If so, could there be a workaround?

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Correct HDMI is one way. Now since the shield has a controller you can move the mouse pointer on the screen, but no nothing otherwise.

The touchscreen would need to have some sort of bluetooth connectivity to do that. This sounds like something that I'm sure someone could build/program/ etc, you'd likely need more hardware than this, but you can get a 7 inch tablet for under $200 these days.

Solution

Minipianoman

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015

Ok, thank you. I'll probably just grab the $50 Amazon fire next time it goes on sale.