IS Acer safe to buy these days - this particular laptop?

thekafka

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
hey guys, im considering buying an acer laptop, this seems like a great deal for the money, can you guys tell me what you think? I have bought acer before and have been disappointed because it has died on me but i have not bought one of their laptops in like 4 years and im wondering if this is a good risk for 700$

its the aspire v3-771g-6485
Intel Core i5 3230M(2.60GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314004

spawnkiller

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I would buy it, i own a ACER branded laptop with a Pentium M cpu (2005-2006 erra) and i never had any trouble with it (and it' still running strong for my HPtuners/Hondata laptop) i would buy any ACER laptop anytime as i think (for the price) they're pretty much the best (lenovo is not cheap, ASUS too and HP/DELL/COMPAQ are simply real shit as they have the higher return/failure rate and i've seen many HP and Compaq laptop die within 2 years...)

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Since 2006 I've had two laptops - both Acer Travelmates. They were hauled to and from work every working day and had to withstand building site dust (my role at the time was as an IT manager for a construction firm), heavy gaming in the evenings and my first one was even my EQ trader for a while - running a game from Friday night - Monday morning. They outlasted the Toshibas I bought for the masses by a very very large margin.

Both of them now have slightly loose wiring for the screens, they sometimes need a shake, but as even the newest is 5 years old and have been used fairly hard, I'm not complaining.