Solved! Is alienware 2014 laptop worth 200$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2019
Wanting to buy an alienware laptop and they are selling it for 200$, 2014 alienware 14gtx 750m 8gb ram.windows 7 operating system

Solution
It's not worth it when you can get a unit that performs significantly better for about 350 bucks, new, and isn't going to die a month after you buy it, plus has a warranty besides. The fact that you are happy with the unit you bought in 2015 doesn't change the fact that spending 200 dollars on a five year old laptop when they generally only last about that long anyway before they start having problems, is just ridiculous IMO. Five year old laptops over 150 bucks is almost the same as throwing your money in the trash and lighting it on fire.
Jan 29, 2019
its well worth it. i bought a core i7 m14xr2 in 2015 for 500$ best money i ever spent. btw its a 2012 made laptop still works good to this very day and i game on it 8 hours at a time and it never goes above 135 fahrenheit.

mwanthony

Great
Jan 30, 2019
they usually cost 500$ on ebay. so 200 is a really good deal. if you upgrade the ram to 16gb and add a good sata 3 solid state drive and load it with windows 7. you will have an excellent gaming computer. it will be faster and all together it would cost only 300 more with the upgrades. so for about 500$ you would have a kick butt gaming laptop

It's not worth it when you can get a unit that performs significantly better for about 350 bucks, new, and isn't going to die a month after you buy it, plus has a warranty besides. The fact that you are happy with the unit you bought in 2015 doesn't change the fact that spending 200 dollars on a five year old laptop when they generally only last about that long anyway before they start having problems, is just ridiculous IMO. Five year old laptops over 150 bucks is almost the same as throwing your money in the trash and lighting it on fire.

Solution

mwanthony

Great
Jan 30, 2019
i havent had any problems with my alienware m14xr2 i re thermal paste it every two years. never had an issue with drivers or anything else. i play games on it all the time and the temps are really good never got a bsod from overheating.never have gotten a virus on this particular model. works pretty darn good. go with the alienware. they are very well built.

Honestly, that's great, for you. Still, it's unnecessary to give me an FYI. This is what I do, all day, every day, for the most part. I've probably worked with more laptops this year than in your whole life, which is not to say that your opinion is invalid. Just that I probably have a lot more experience and historical familiarity with many models of laptops, over many years (30+ to be exact), than you probably do. If you think a five year old laptop is a good value at 200 bucks, maybe it is. I just don't happen to agree based on what I know in regard to how long these units typically last before problems develop with the cooling or power jacks on them.

mwanthony

Great
Jan 30, 2019
if you change thermal paste on an alienware it will last forever. i have an 8 core from 2012 with 2 usb 3.0 ports 1 usb 2.0 and a 2gb gddr5 video card hdmi vga and display port plus 3 mic headphone combo jacks. thats pretty up to date plus a 3.6ghz cpu and dual layer + bluray 7 years old still works like its brand new.point being he should get the alienware. im going off excellent specs not opinions. 200$ for an alienware is a steal.i paid 500 for mine

mwanthony

Great
Jan 30, 2019
if cooling issues happen you just put new cpu paste on them like ic diamond or artic silver 5 then clean out the fans. power jacks can be soldered easy.just need a steady hand and patience + the right solder

R4DIO4CT1VE

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
Possibly a good deal for what it is.... but I would advice against it. Laptops wear out with time unlike desktops for the most part. The battery life is most likely horrible on the laptop by now, it will quite possible start to develop cooling issues, harddrive lifespans are generally shorter on laptops..... If you dont need a laptop, a used desktop for $200 will give you MUCH more power.

If you do need a laptop, I would advise you to try and save up abit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.