Is ASUS K70IO strong enough?

davidstone

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Hi guys,

I need some advice here. I currently run Windows Vista Ultimate on 2006 Lenovo 3000 N100 with T5500 C2D and 1GB DDR2 RAM.

It works "OK", but it gets painfully slow when multitasking.

So, I am thinking on switching to Desktop-replacement ASUS K70IO, with T6600 C2D and 4GB RAM under Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

My question is whether this machine has enough power for trully heavy-duty multitasking, like running these apps. simultaneously:

Adobe CS4 Premiere (video-editing)
Adobe Acrobat
Outlook, Excel, Word all open with several documents
Multiple IE windows

And plethora of antivirus, anti-spyware programs running in the back, like Spyware doctor, Iobit 360 Security, Advanced System Care Pro, Avast anti-virus, etc…

I have the T6400 (pretty much the same set up as what you're looking at) and I've never had an issue with it choking on multitasking issues; mostly what you plan on doing with it. It's no quad, but it gets the job done. I think you'll be fine with it.

frozenlead

Distinguished
You can dump pretty much all of your anti-this anti-that programs and save yourself some trouble. You don't need all of those. Avast or AVG by themselves are good enough to be used alone.

The CPU itself should be fine if you're not rendering the video and expecting to work at the same time. Opening those programs and having them idle isn't really CPU intensive. When rendering video, though, your computer will be busy - any computer will be busy, that is.