Is i5 6300hq comparable to i7 4720hq? Will I notice a difference?

Solution
The i5-6300HQ is simply a quad core CPU without Hyper Threading (HT) similar to desktop Core i5 CPUs.

The i7-4720HQ has a max clock speed of 3.6GHz vs. 3.2GB for the i5-6300HQ and it has HT. In games you are not really going to see any difference in performance unless the game is really CPU intensive like strategy games and it would be minimal. Games do not make use of HT, but if you use programs that can take advantage of HT then you should get better performance.

The extra 2GB VRAM the Dell could be useful for ultra quality textures when playing games at 1080p, but the GTX 960m is far too weak to play games at 4k unless you want to you low graphics quality. At that point you will not need 4GB of VRAM because low quality textures do...

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
6300hq is the first mobile i5 CPU to come with 4 cores. Anything which is a first is not perfect. More than that the 4720HQ has a higher clock rate, also the i7 is 4 cores 8 hyperthreads while the i5 6300hq is 4 cores 4 threads so yeah the 4720HQ is better. If we skip every other detail, like what laptop you are getting, price, etc etc, then the 4720HQ is better.

salh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-gl551jwwh71wx-p-8771.html
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=psdc_565108_t1_B0146DD02G

How much will I notice the difference between the two CPUs. And should I consider any other factors (other than the SSD)?

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Depends on the usage. The ssd will make the dell feel a lot faster (when you install the OS and programs there) and there will be a slight difference only if you play really heavy games but then again even the i5 should be enough. Other than that another benefit of the dell is the 4gb gpu instead of 2gb in the asus meaning if you plug the laptop to a 4k tv then the dell would fair better as well.

The i5-6300HQ is simply a quad core CPU without Hyper Threading (HT) similar to desktop Core i5 CPUs.

The i7-4720HQ has a max clock speed of 3.6GHz vs. 3.2GB for the i5-6300HQ and it has HT. In games you are not really going to see any difference in performance unless the game is really CPU intensive like strategy games and it would be minimal. Games do not make use of HT, but if you use programs that can take advantage of HT then you should get better performance.

The extra 2GB VRAM the Dell could be useful for ultra quality textures when playing games at 1080p, but the GTX 960m is far too weak to play games at 4k unless you want to you low graphics quality. At that point you will not need 4GB of VRAM because low quality textures do not take much VRAM.

The SSD / HDD is a toss up. The SSD allows for faster boot / shutdown times and programs load and close faster. But a SSD does not improve FPS performance. The downside is the relatively small capacity. The HDD is slower than a SSD, but you get 4x the capacity. Personally, I would go with a HDD for the capacity since I tend to store a lot of things on my laptops so a 256GB SSD would not cut it. I would then upgrade to a 1TB SSD when I have the money.

The Asus has a DVD drive and no M.2 slot for an additional SSD. The Dell has no DVD drive, but it does have a M.2 slot which should allow you to install a 512GB M.2 SSD as long as the M.2 bay is large enough to do so.

The Dell has an IPS LCD panel which means better viewing angles and better color accuracy (if calibrated). The Asus most likely only has a TN panel which has narrower viewing angles and colors should be adequate for most people.

If you prefer having the higher capacity of a HDD in the Dell Inspiron 7559 and then upgrading to a large capacity SSD in the future, then you can order it from Dell's website for the same price of $800.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?ref=PD_Family

Solution