Is iPhone Fingerprint Security Secure At All? (Op-Ed)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I am not sure what the point of this article is?

Here's a quote, "One can easily imagine a maliciously coded video game, just legitimate enough to slip under the walls of Apple's App Store, that, in practice, can read fingerprints directly and shuffle them off to parts unknown."

OK, but couldn't the same maliciously coded game be slipped into uncover the four number digits to enter the phone? And for that matter, four digit security is not very secure. It as if the author of the article has forgotten that this is a smart phone, not a CIA computer.

That being said, from what I understand, from what I have heard, Apple's smart phone security is the best in the business. Not even the NSA has cracked their protection codes. In one article I read, the NSA had been reduced to breaking into the computers that the iPhones phones synced with to get information from the phone. I fully expect Apple's fingerprint security will be proven also to be the best in the business.

While I respect the author's security credentials, this article boils down to speculation about the future and the author really doesn't know how secure the fingerprint sensor system will be. The author is simply making "educated" guesses - he should have done more research before he wrote this article.

I can answer the question for him about the fingerprint security; it will be a hell of a lot more secure than a 4 digit security code and this is a smart phone not a CIA supercomputer. Oh and one more thing, most people understand that there is no perfect security system, that is not anything special to point out.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
What this article raised is legitimate. Your fingerprint ID could be all over cyberspace before you know it. With all sorts of GPS tracking anti-theft software available, this is simply not necessary. In fact, i have retrieved back my stolen SGS2 using these software. In any case, i will rather lose my phone than to lose my finger print ID to the entire world! So much for "enhanced security". Rather it's more of a way to lose critical personal information and a permanent identity theft, because you can't change your fingerprint like you change your passwords!

Darthbart

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Couple things to note here:

-The sensor in the Motorola Atrix 4G and the Apple iPhone 5S are from the same manufacturer, Authentec, which was bought by Apple. So claims that the technology is different are incorrect. it's possible changes have been made or that the 'sapphire' cover helps in recognition / acquisition, but the underlying technology (sub-dermal) is still the same.

-While fingerprint 'images' are captured by the sensor, they are immediately broken down into 'templates,' and processed in a chip directly connected to the sensor. Fingerprint images / templates etc should not be leaving the phone.

-And if the phone was broken into, the claim is always:

Darthbart

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[whoops got cut off]...that your fingerprints will be stolen. Sorry, but you leave your fingerprints EVERYWHERE! Just open that door? Check. Just tap on that icon? Check. And those fingerprint images are often larger and higher quality than what you'll get out of the small sensor area in the iPhone. So let's be sure we're thinking logically here.

That's not to say we shouldn't ask the right questions, especially in the light of the NSA leaks, but I also think we need to be comparing apples to apples.

Remember...this is not new technology. I spent 11 years in fingerprint biometrics and spoke to Apple in Cupertino in ~1997 regarding the possibility of integrating this into laptops and other Apple products. The promise of a 'no-password' society has been bandied about since before commercial biometrics made their way to market in the mid 1990s. I see so many articles written in 2013 about biometrics that could easily have been written in 1999. Funny how things often don't change all that much.

In any case, we'll have to see (1) if anyone turns the feature on, (2) if they keep using it after 2 weeks, and (3) if the sensor holds up to repeated use. Look...I want this tech to succeed, but even I don't use the fingerprint unlock on my laptop. For a lot of folks it's been a novelty tech...not an essential one.

It will be up to Apple to turn this around. I'm eager to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.