Is it ok to run applications from USB flashdrives

JonCondiff

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015
recently a USB 3.0 64GB Micro Center I had for several years went bad (Took a long time to do any thing) and I had to replace it, and I'm wondering if using applications from inside the flash drive would decrease it's lifespan. I thought of this when the 64GB flash drive was taking about 5 minutes just to save my progress
Here are some of the applications I used:
several minecraft launchers(vanilla, FTB, and ATL)
several versions of sinking ship simulator
Epic Inventor (this is the application that took up to 5 minutes to save my progress)
Hot Wheels velocity X
Hot Wheels Mechanix
Factorio
Ricochet Infinity
Insaniquarium Deluxe
for awhile I had a 2005 gamehouse games collection on there but I removed it to try to speed up the Flash drive

Solution
Of course writing and to as lesser extend reading to/from an usb will chip away at the drives read/write cycles.
Still you could check the drive with a defragmenter to see how fragmented it is,this could also be the problem.

TerryLaze

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Of course writing and to as lesser extend reading to/from an usb will chip away at the drives read/write cycles.
Still you could check the drive with a defragmenter to see how fragmented it is,this could also be the problem.

Solution

JonCondiff

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015

With the 64GB flash drive it had about 16GB of data when I noticed it was slow and I removed about half of that trying to fix it.

JonCondiff

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015

when I can a 3.0 port but it's slow on the 2.0 as in noticeably slower than when I first got it.