Is it worth buying a new laptop, or should I just buy used?

Rayzala

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi there. I started going to university this year and am realizing I'm going to need a new laptop. I've been looking into some somewhat affordable gaming laptop options such as the Lenovo y50 but have yet to decide.

I was trying to find out how much money I'd be losing buying brand new compared to used but cant seem to find a lot of used laptops to compare with. On average, how much will a $1000~1200 laptop depreciate in its first year? what about the second?

Solution
depreciation depends on your method of resale if you sell it somewhere like ebay, etc you will get pretty decent return on investment. However if you try to sell it anywhere else and deprecation is about 70% after 2 years, about 50% the first year. After that it isn't even worth trying to sell, except on ebay, alot of times you can resale a laptop at about 80% original value within the first couple years.

If you are considering used, as long as you understand computers, how to keep them clean etc and you test the item thoroughly after receiving it I have purchased many used Laptops, Desktop components and never really had any issues, just make sure that you thoroughly test the item within the first 48 hours.

If you have the know how...

rvilkman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
The best part about a new laptop is that you get it clean of any crap inside and you will be covered by warranty in case something goes wrong as with laptops repairs can be extremely expensive, and often the 'Fix' is to replace the motherboard.

Can't really comment on the depreciation.

DayzGamer

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
depreciation depends on your method of resale if you sell it somewhere like ebay, etc you will get pretty decent return on investment. However if you try to sell it anywhere else and deprecation is about 70% after 2 years, about 50% the first year. After that it isn't even worth trying to sell, except on ebay, alot of times you can resale a laptop at about 80% original value within the first couple years.

If you are considering used, as long as you understand computers, how to keep them clean etc and you test the item thoroughly after receiving it I have purchased many used Laptops, Desktop components and never really had any issues, just make sure that you thoroughly test the item within the first 48 hours.

If you have the know how to open it up and clean all the dust out and replace thermal compound that is always a good idea with a used item.

Here is a really well priced gaming laptop. would cost you 17-$1800 new,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sager-NP9150-GTX-680M-4GB-i7-3630QM-256GB-SSD-16GB-Ram-Killer-Wireless-/231463065283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e44616c3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clevo-P170SM-Sager-NP8270-17-3-FHD-Customized-Gaming-Laptop-Geforce-GTX-770M-/111582425382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fad4b126

or this they are both good optons for a good gaming computer and these system's typically last very well they are built much better than Asus, MSI, Lenovo. (much better cooling and such)

Hope this helps have a great day.

Solution