Is it worth updating an old laptop or should I buy new?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cakeandacuppa

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
Hello. I am thinking of buying a new laptop, but can only afford under £300, so I wondered if it would be worth having the old one refurbished or just buy new.

I currently have a Toshiba L450-12X satellite pro, 7-8 years old. It uses windows 7 home and I use open office, no windows 10. It has 1gb ram 160gb hard drive. 512kb processor cache, 2.1ghz processor clock speed, SI-42 processor model number, ATI radeon - HD3200, 1407mb shared graphics, AMD Sempron. Don't know what half this stuff is!

The laptop has trouble buffering/connecting/staying connected to the internet, a short task can take hours or I have to give up. I assume this is down to only having 1gb ram, but I'm no expert. I don't have trouble with using tablets or phones here so I don't think broadband is the problem, except in being received by the Toshiba. I think the hard drive storage wise is fine because I'm not a heavy user, although I do have files of songs and photos but together probably do not exceed 1000. The battery is completely dead so use via mains (battery won't recharge) so obviously that needs sorting and bigger ram needs adding but not sure about processors etc and even though my hard drive seems fine is it the wrong type?

Can anyone tell me if the costs of upgrades would be so much, bearing in mind a local computer shop would have to do the work as I couldn't, that I may as well just buy a new laptop? Would buy for under £300 so storage may be less, but my current laptop is fine to hold my files, songs etc so I'm not worried about that at moment (would need to replace battery still). New one would be mainly for the internet and new docs/songs produced from internet, NO gaming, movie streaming, photo shop etc. Been looking at laptops with 4gb minimum & 64gb, 500gb, 1tb hdd or 128gb ssd (on own not ssd/HDD together, I think!). Also being so untechy could a computer repair shop see me as a soft target and say this and that needs doing when it doesn't and end up costing as much or more than a new laptop. Would only buy from known and walk-inable shops eg Argos, Curry's etc NOT amazon, online small companies etc or get an online refurbished.

Any advice would be appreciated, and quite soon as I was looking if going the new route to get one in the current black Friday deals. If it passes the 24th don't worry you can still advise because even if I buy a new one now it may still be worth having the Toshiba refurbished so my son can have a laptop to himself if he goes to uni or leaves home.

Remember keep it in simple terms for me!

Thanks

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Not to change the subject, but do you have your photos and music (and whatever else you have) backed up to an external storage device or the cloud? Your hard drive is getting pretty old, and all electronic devices eventually fail, sometimes without warning.

If it were me, I would back up everything I wanted to save and do a factory reset. That alone may speed up the computer. Your buffering/disconnecting from the internet may be due to a poor WIFI signal where your laptop is located. Does the same happen when you connect directly to your router/gateway via ethernet cable?

cakeandacuppa

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
mjslakeridge

I use away from router wirelessly, but it is the same when directly connected & don't have problems on tablets or phones. I have previously backed-up to disc & plan to do important stuff like photos, songs, guarantees etc to a USB just in case (some new laptops don't have a disc drive). I did wonder about a factory reset but I was worried that I would lose certain things like the windows 7 as it came installed from the supplier and also has some assisted software & educational software (also pre installed). Not sure if can copy everything on a computer especially to a USB so just haven't tried. Maybe you can give me the pointers I need.

Thanks

USAFRet

Illustrious
RAM access on my Toshiba:
2kLYXsZ.jpg

Take out that single screw, and remove the cover.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I downloaded the user manual for your laptop. On page 2-5 it shows the location of the memory module slots. It is under a removable door in the middle of the bottom of the laptop. This implies both RAM slots are in this location (unlike the Dell I had where one of the slots is under the keyboard). So it should be easy to slide out the existing RAM stick and slide in the 2 x 2 GB kit that USAF linked to. Once you power down the laptop (and remove the battery, just to be safe in case it holds a small charge), remove that single screw and look at how the existing ram stick is inserted. If you can easily remove it, then you will be able to install the new RAM.

Edit: Starting at page 8-4 in the manual, it describes in detail how to install RAM modules. Make sure the computer is unplugged from the charger.

USAFRet

Illustrious
For backups, I am sort of rabid about this.
Your personal data should never, ever exist on a single drive or device.

"...plan to do important stuff..."
Everyone says this, about 5 minutes after they actually need it.

My current sig picture illustrates this. Always operate with the thought that your critical data is always 0.25 sec away from total destruction.
Dropped laptop, virus, lightning strike....poof, all gone.

Backups shouldn't be a 'once in a while' or "I'll do it next week".
It needs to be automatic, and all the time.

The OS and your applications can be easily redone. The pics of your family from 3 years ago, or your tax records...not so much.

cakeandacuppa

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
USAFret. Yes mine is similar but has 2 openings (plus the battery one) don't think finding it will be the problem just the level of ease replacing it, but if it is a slide it in situation should be straightforward.

Thanks

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
If you don't have the original user manual, you can go to Toshiba UK site and go to support, and downloads, and enter the particulars of your laptop. With a slow connection it may take a while to download. The RAM sticks get inserted at a 45 degree angle, and then pressed down until the latches on each side click. I don't want to give you incomplete information, so try to download the manual.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
The factory reset should also be detailed in the manual. It will restore your laptop to how it was the day you got it. All software installed by Toshiba including Windows 7 will be there. Your data and any programs/apps that you installed since then will not be there and will have to be re-installed.

cakeandacuppa

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
USAFret.

I do have photos backed up on phone and songs are from cds, some direct from online but also on mp3 & some things saved on email account so mostly ok but not fool proof but you are so right i don't do enough external type back ups.

So if I do a full back up it will copy the software too?

Thanks

USAFRet

Illustrious

email accounts can die or be inaccessible, CD's can erode, USB sticks can REALLY die...

Read here for what some say is extreme, but it is my method:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

But all that could be easily done with a single USB connected HDD. Maybe $50.

cakeandacuppa

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
Mjslakeridge

I can download to my tablet I'm sure. But I do have a box where user manuals, paper receipts & guarantees are kept, just needs a bit of digging in a cupboard for, sure it'll be there. I was worried about the factory reset because the software wouldn't of been on in the factory, the supplier put it on, as you can imagine not all laptops come with assisted and special educational technology. But also wouldn't the supplier have loaded the windows 7 not the factory. I get confused about the os system and the bits that word, excel etc comes with.

Thanks

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I don't know what you mean by the supplier versus the factory (Toshiba). Are you talking about a retail store where you actually purchased the laptop? I don't know of any retailers that would install Windows or any other software, unless it was a specialty built computer (Like my music production computer that I purchased from Sweetwater.com years ago). In that case, they installed ProTools and other software, and actually assembled the computer, unlike a pre-built from Dell or Lenovo.

Maybe it is different in the UK. You can do an online chat with Toshiba from their website and they may be able to give you some specific guidance.

cakeandacuppa

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
Hi mjslakeridge. Just to clarify, we were lucky enough to get the laptop for free through an educational scheme for less well off families who otherwise maybe disadvantaged by not having any access to a computer. We got a set amount of money on a card & had to order a 'special package' laptop from particular suppliers. It came with special extra educational and assistive software, so obviously not the norm.

A full backup should save all software I assume so a factory reset should be fine, problem is I've probably got stuff on there - preloaded which I could probably do without but because of my limited knowledge wouldn't know what I can dump, file wise though I know what I'm doing.

Don't worry, following the advise I've received from you & USAFret I have decided to try and stick with the Toshiba & swap the ram & see how it goes & leave a new one for another time. So, many thanks for all the help you've given me. I'm not sure which of you to pick for the solution as you've both given me great but different bits of advice but many thanks still even if I don't pick one of yours.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Based on your description of how you got the laptop, I wouldn't recommend a factory reset, as the extra software that was loaded on to it would probably disappear, and you would be left with just Windows and whatever utilities Toshiba may have loaded when it was new.

The only reason I suggested a factory reset in the first place was that over time, a computer can get "bogged down" and start to run slow. A clean installation of Windows and all your other software will refresh the computer and speed it up. I did that very thing earlier this year to my Windows 8.1 computer that is about 5 years old. I keep copies of all of the downloaded program's installation files on a separate hard drive, and I have the CD-ROMs for other programs I have bought over the years. Even having all of this stuff at my disposal, it took the better part of a day to get everything back up and running the way I wanted, although I also added a new graphics card at the time of the fresh installation, so I had to download the drivers for that and get my monitors configured, which took a while.

Just download or locate your manual and as I said above, it will describe exactly the procedure for swapping out the RAM. You should see some improvement just from doing that, and can squeeze a few more years of life out of that laptop. Good luck!

cakeandacuppa

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

Hi mjslakeridge.

Could I save the software on a USB then do a reset, or do a whole system save like the disc back ups I have then reload the software after a factory reset.

Can I also ask with regard to the replacement ram that USAFret gave a link to. They are 2x 2gb ram but I'm not fully sure they will be compatible, only because I looked at my current 1gb one and it takes up the full width and half the depth of the ram slot. So will two separate rams boards (whatever they're called) fit in or should I get 4gb all on one ram board. I took a picture but don't know how to upload here. So sorry I'm so rubbish at all this. I hope you can make sense of my explanation. I don't want to order unless I'm 100% sure because some places won't refund if the mistake is mine.

Thanks

USAFRet

Illustrious

If your system has 2 individual RAM slots, those will fit.

cakeandacuppa

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
Hi USAFret

The one in is in one piece filling any slots. But it may still have 2 slots as opposed to one that can be used for 2 separate rams. How can I check this? Am currently using thee computer so can't access the ram at moment and didn't want to remove yet as I working on deleting files, saving stuff etc, wasn't sure if removing could possibly 'lose' some stuff.

Thanks

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Saving the software to a USB drive and then copying it back to your HDD will NOT work. You would need the actual program installation files (.exe files). Saving pictures, mp3s, Word documents, etc. and then coyping them back after a reset or fresh installation of Windows would work for data files.

According to your laptop's manual, one of the RAM slots is on top of the other one. Shut down your laptop, remove the battery and unplug the charger and remove the current ram stick. You should see the other slot then.