Is Labelflash technology dead?

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I just bought the following Toshiba laptop (specs):

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.0GHz (2.90 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB Cache
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM (4096MBx2)
HDD: 500GB (7200 RPM); Hybrid 4G Serial ATA hard disk drive
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology with 1GB GDDR3 memory
Optical: Blu-Ray Disc® (BD-ROM) and DVD SuperMulti drive with Labelflash® supporting 12 formats
which uses [/b] Labelflash®[/b] media to burn high quality labels directly to disc

and much more, but I wonder if Toshiba is selling its laptop with a "dead technology". First, it is hard
to find a "Labelflash®" media DVD, and when I search the Net, there are some places which do mention
this labeling technology as DEAD. Does anyone know anything? Btw, there is this article here:

LightScribe And Labelflash Journals (6:51 AM - February 14, 2006 by Siggy Moersch)

which mentions both existing technology, but I don't think it was mention "Labelflash®" as DEAD though the article is a few years old.

I'd appreciate opinions and comments. Thanks.

Solution
I know about lightscribe but I really don't see the point of using it back from the time of its introduction to 2009. Just write a label on the back of the dvd is less hassle. From 2009 onward, HDD is so cheap that I went fully HDD for storage and backup, thus eliminate the need to burn dvd. So I guess it is a fail product.

Pyree

Distinguished
I know about lightscribe but I really don't see the point of using it back from the time of its introduction to 2009. Just write a label on the back of the dvd is less hassle. From 2009 onward, HDD is so cheap that I went fully HDD for storage and backup, thus eliminate the need to burn dvd. So I guess it is a fail product.

Solution