Is lenovo a good company to buy a gaming laptop from?

There is no best. Even reliability ratings from one manufacturer to another vary year to year, similar to car reliability reports from year to year.

Generally, the more you pay, the less of a build quality gap there is between all the OEMs. What does NOT change with price is customer support, although they may be more likely to accommodate someone more if they're a big spender.

But yes, 'Lenovo' is a reputable company.

G

Do you have you have a personal favorite though? And why is Leveno in quotation marks? Did I use the wrong name?

To be honest, I don't have a personal favorite, but I can say from past repair experiences that Lenovo has always made a good impression on me. :)

And yeah, the name was a little off in the title. No worries, though! I will say this: if you can find yourself a good reseller, that will be ideal. Not only can you customize a system that way, you generally get better customer support.

G

Oh, i fixed the title, and a reseller, would a website such as NewEgg be considered a good one?

G

Fixed!

Lenovo is a good brand and the ThinkPad series is arguably one of the best business class laptops around. Before IBM sold the ThinkPad division to Lenovo, it was basically the definitively best business class laptop series.

For consumer oriented laptops, they are pretty good. It is hard to beat the value and the performance of the IdeaPad Y500.

Unfortunately, I need to send back a recently purchased Lenovo ThinkPad T530 because the one I got is not how I configured it.

k1114

Distinguished
Spelling is still wrong, third time's the charm?

I thought tom's had linked to an article to another place that had ratings but can't find it. Google is just giving unreliable stuff but asus is near the top on all the lists.

But it comes down to your budget on if you would go with something else. The y500 continues to be the best value at it's price if that is what you are looking at.

attk mast3r

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Lenovo is a produce of the thinkpad, one of the most toughest notebook lines on the market. i've seen them in fires, floods, 5 ft drops, and they still work. i can't say the same about their ideapad line (their gaming grade laptops are the ideapad y series) but i'm sure they put quality into them. their customer service is indeed lacking, but i can assure you its not even close to as bad as toshiba's or hp's customer service. you won't be disappointed with lenovo. i recommend the y series, be sure to get the one with the 750m as it's the best middle class graphics available, outclassing the 650m by quite a bit.

G

Hold on, let me go slam my head through a wall... SLAM ....... ok im back and its fixed.

attk mast3r

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

it is ranked number 2 for a reason, not just because it sold a lot of computers. it also markets the ideapad and ideacenter lines as well. it bought IBM some years ago and they handle the consumer part of the business while IBM continues to sell business machines. you're saying you would not give the 2nd highest rated company a try? apple is the 1st, would you give them a try, if you already haven't? what i've seen is more than enough to convince me they're worthy of my money, it's really a shame they can't get their high battery life from the thinkpad lien tot he ideapad line, i wouldn't have hesitated to pick the y400 if it had 6 hour+ battery life.

my personal rating of pc brands:
1. lenovo (value, build quality)
2. asus (sheer innovation, good reputation)
3. samsung (design, innovation to style/weight/battery life)
4. hp (innovation to weight/battery life, design)
5. msi (innovation to hardware/gaming, value)
6. dell (reliability, good reputation)
7. vizio (pioneer to hardware, innovation to hardware) *new to the business* look at their thin and light laptop
8. sony ( design, innovation to weight)
9. acer (value, innovation to weight/thickness)
10. toshiba (unbearably bad build quality, good software)
*. fujitsu (good rugged quality, bad value)
*. gateway (good try, but can't compete with top with that hardware)
*. avatar (good desktops, laptops have a way to go)
*. apple (not pc, but good innovation to design and weight, bad value)
*. compaq (absorbed by hp, last long if taken care of)

Lenovo did not buy IBM. IBM sold their desktop and laptop division to Lenovo because they wanted to exit the consumer market and focus on the enterprise market providing business intelligence solutions.

Lenovo is the world's largest PC manufacturer. Lenovo's 2012 PC shipments grew by 8.2% while HP shipments decreased by 0.6%. While Lenovo only reported net income of $205 million, it is better than what HP has reported... a net loss of $6.9 billion. Perhaps you should read the following.

Lenovo: The Little PC Maker that Could
http://beta.fool.com/leokornsun/2013/02/01/lenovo-little-pc-maker-could/23125/

From guard shack to global giant - How did Lenovo become the world’s biggest computer company?
http://www.economist.com/news/business/21569398-how-did-lenovo-become-worlds-biggest-computer-company-guard-shack-global-giant

G

Sorry for my newness to this all, is a SSD a digital hardrive?

g-unit1111

Distinguished

SSDs are hard drives with no moving parts and use a smaller form factor and less power than a traditional mechanical HD does. Laptop vendors usually charge a premium for these drives but if you add one in yourself you can save money in the long run.

NewEgg is an online retailer. A computer reseller is typically an entity that purchases from an original design manufacturer - or ODM for short - and performs custom work and some warranty service on them. We, for example, specialize in custom laptops. Different resellers offer different products.

Following up from everyone else: I have no comments on Lenovo's support (I haven't dealt with them personally) but I agree that their systems have a good reputation and they well deserve it.