Question Is my 1st Generation Chromecast still any good?

Dec 19, 2020
I have two (2) original Chromecast devices which I haven't used for a while. I tried connecting one to my Samsung smart tv hoping we could cast a Zoom meeting with the family and instead of using a iPad or iPhone, we could be viewing the other family members on the 40" screen. I'm getting as far as the TV showing the Chromecast is connected to HDMI 3, but it seems to be looking for a Google Home device. Going to Google for help is a joke because its all canned and there's no real "Google Community Forum" where someone knowledgeable can help you out.

When I look at my network (Xfinity) it doesn't see the Chromecast device. I don't know how to force the chrome cast device to find my network and login using the newest password. I have tried resetting the Chromecast but it still only shows "Google Home". Is there any way to use the older Chromecast device or is it a throwaway at this point? With this crazy Covid Pandemic, being semi-housebound it'd be nice to be able to use your smart tv and zoom somehow. Hoping some genius out there can help this old guy out. My wife would be thrilled to see our kids and grandkids on the bigger screen.

TIA-Mike

Dec 19, 2020
I have reset the device several times... never once has it indicated it was looking for a wifi network. It did have the network name when I first plugged it in, but I guess it had the old 2 year ago password. I could not get it to allow me to login with a new password, so I did a factory reset according to instructions. A new Chromecast code #XXXX comes up on the bottom of the screen, but when I use the Google Home App to add a device, it can't find the Chromecast even though the Chromecast is showing up on the TV screen.

The link you gave me seems fine but still leaves me hung up once I've done the reset with no directions because it still can't see the network, and the network isn't seeing it either. I have powered down the network for a minute plus and still nothing when the network is back up.

I need to find out why the Chromecast isn't sensing the wifi network bc its only 25 feet away from the wifi router.