Is my build able to play games and record at the same time?

mrcnarine

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014
So heres my current computer, I plan on playing things like Skyrim on High 720p and id like to record it as well with Dxtory or fraps is my build good enough? And would it be better for me to write the footage to a SSD? Thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

CPU-AMD FX 6300
RAM-G. Skill( 2X4GB) 1600 8GB
GPU-MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Motherboard-Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
HDD-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case-NZXT Source 210
DVD Drive- Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
PSU-EVGA 500W

Solution
First of all, please do not buy a SSD and write on it. Even though SSD's are reliable for a boot drive. When you write files (EG : Recording, Rendering) you can kill it very quickly. So buy a cheap one but don't write on it too much.

Anyway, the build you have is great currently, but switch out your AMD card to an NVIDIA GTX 760, I say this because you can use shadowplay which is basically fraps with no lag and its great overall but if you plan to do talk and play the game at the same time I recommend to get a better computer. Now this PC is great and powerful but DXTory doesn't like using AMD CPU's for some reason and I do own a FX 6300 and when I was recording with DXTory, my frame rate dropped massively (60% of my framerate...

Effeectt

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
First of all, please do not buy a SSD and write on it. Even though SSD's are reliable for a boot drive. When you write files (EG : Recording, Rendering) you can kill it very quickly. So buy a cheap one but don't write on it too much.

Anyway, the build you have is great currently, but switch out your AMD card to an NVIDIA GTX 760, I say this because you can use shadowplay which is basically fraps with no lag and its great overall but if you plan to do talk and play the game at the same time I recommend to get a better computer. Now this PC is great and powerful but DXTory doesn't like using AMD CPU's for some reason and I do own a FX 6300 and when I was recording with DXTory, my frame rate dropped massively (60% of my framerate dissapeared).

Another solution is to get a capture card but they will run you a bit more but if you want to have smooth gameplay I see it as a solution.

Solution