Is my computer open or hidden?

keveen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I am using a VPN but just now used the GRC Shields Up test - https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 which produces a report on how invisible your computer is.

Results:
  • This ShieldsUP! web server has been permitted to connect to your computer's highly insecure NetBIOS File and Printer Sharing port (139) which apparently means my computer will accept anonymous connections.

• This computer is exposing its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet. This is called "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" or "NBT" for short.

• The test sees my computer name and workgroup name.

• The Media Access Control (MAC) address of the network interface card in your computer can be easily read by any computer or web server on the Internet.
And it shows me my MAC address.

I followed this advice:
Unless you actively need to share your personal computer's resources across the Internet, you should immediately "unbind" the "File and Printer Sharing" from your TCP/IP properties in your computer's "Network Neighborhood" properties.

That solved one problem.

How can I fix these other issues and be completely invisible? I still want to share files on my Home network.
I don't think Windows 7 uses NetBIOS anymore?

Also Ports 135, 139 and 445 are open!

keveen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I uninstalled my VPN program, cleaned the registry, flushed the DNS using DNSJumper, cleared the browser using Ccleaner and restarted, ran the tests again and every port is now in stealth mode. My PC is invisible as far as it can be I guess. Just as well I checked as I was not secure even using a VPN. Don't know why there was a problem in the first place, maybe some program I downloaded