Is my laptop broken? :(

mikoronkko

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
So... yesterday i were playing a game called "Fortnite" with couple of friends, after the game ended i pressed ALt+Tab and i got a blackscreen there. I restarted my laptop and all of sudden it was running so slow that it took even 5mins to open google chrome and it was loading something all the time etc. I tried restarting it and that didn't work and then i shut down the whole laptop for like 10 mins and tried again and it was perfectly working like before.

Well the same problem occurred today when i opened the laptop first time of the day, everything was really slow etc, so i shut it down and waited again like 10 minutes and its been working well so far. Also now every time when i open this game called "Fortnite" i get a blackscreen that lasts for like 10 seconds and the game starts running perfectly after that, i haven't tested if that happens with every game tho.

My friend said that it might be the CPU that makes it run so slow, or that its overheating/not cooling the laptop enough, so he said that i should buy a new cooling paste for the CPU. I have overclocked my CPU from 2.3ghz to 2.7-3.2ghz and the maximum is 3.2ghz, but i overclocked it like 4 months ago so i doubt its that. This is the first time that problems like this happen, my laptop is only like 1 year old.

Im using: Acer Aspire V 15 V5-591G-52HC

Specs:
i5-6300HQ 2.3GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M with 2 GB Dedicated VRAM
8 GB DDR4 Memory
96GB SSD, 1000GB HDD

Solution
- Revert any overclocks first. Laptop cooling systems are not designed for them. See if issue occurs at stock clocks.

- Update graphics card drivers and BIOS to latest version. Obtain these files from the Acer web site.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
- Revert any overclocks first. Laptop cooling systems are not designed for them. See if issue occurs at stock clocks.

- Update graphics card drivers and BIOS to latest version. Obtain these files from the Acer web site.

Solution