Is my Laptop good for Gaming?

LVC91

Prominent
Feb 11, 2017
Okay so my question is if my current laptop is suitable for gaming and if it needs an upgrade, can I get that done so I can play PC games on it.

I have a HP Pavillion Laptop and these are the specs for it:

Display size - 17"

Display type - LED-backlit HD LCD

Processor - 1.6GHz Intel Pentium quad-core (N2710)

Memory - 8GB DDR3L

Harddrive - 1TB 5400RPM

Graphics - AMD Radeon R5 w/ 2GB DDR3 dedicated graphics

Solution
Would agree with dudeman. No way to upgrade the hardware any further, to the point where it would give you better performance.

In terms of games, the value series (Half life 2, TF2 etc...), Minecraft, world of warcraft, Left 4 dead 1/2, battlefield 2, GTA SA, maybe GTA IV at lowest settings, older call of duty's (MW, MW2, WAW, Black ops 1). Essentially, games that are either older or are not demanding/taxing on the system.

Use this link to found out other games you can run:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Regards,
SM

Seaweed Monster

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
Would agree with dudeman. No way to upgrade the hardware any further, to the point where it would give you better performance.

In terms of games, the value series (Half life 2, TF2 etc...), Minecraft, world of warcraft, Left 4 dead 1/2, battlefield 2, GTA SA, maybe GTA IV at lowest settings, older call of duty's (MW, MW2, WAW, Black ops 1). Essentially, games that are either older or are not demanding/taxing on the system.

Use this link to found out other games you can run:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Regards,
SM

Solution
No it is not good for gaming. This is a normal usage laptop. I don't know if you laptop has upgradable parts for the cpu and gpu as only a few do. If it does then finding those components are very hard. Also your cooling will have to cope with the increase in performance.

jwcrellin

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
I swapped processors in a laptop last year. Look to see what is the best processor that's compatible with your cpu socket. I guarantee you're not the first person to do it, look for tutorials and videos on changing the cpu in your model laptop.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

It is soldered to the board (BGA). Can't upgrade it.