Is now a good time to buy a gaming laptop?

orca-4444

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015
Is now a good time to buy a gaming laptop?
I like the GTX 970M but I don't know if new, better (for the price), GPU's are going to be coming out anytime soon.

Solution
You may certainly catch some deals on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, but they will be the 'door buster' variety and hard to get. With higher end hardware (and I'd still say the 970m qualifies), the discounts are not as significant as the low-mid tier.

For upper mid to high end equipment, the best time I've always found (though a sharp eye can always catch a deal year-round) is right after the first of the year. Overstock in the supply chain needs to be moved out at that time, and cleared out before new launches.....which are typically mid year.

orca-4444

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015

Do new graphics cards come out at around that time? Will those computers be a better deal than the ones on sale on black friday?

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
You may certainly catch some deals on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, but they will be the 'door buster' variety and hard to get. With higher end hardware (and I'd still say the 970m qualifies), the discounts are not as significant as the low-mid tier.

For upper mid to high end equipment, the best time I've always found (though a sharp eye can always catch a deal year-round) is right after the first of the year. Overstock in the supply chain needs to be moved out at that time, and cleared out before new launches.....which are typically mid year.

Solution