Is the DELL New Inspiron 17 5000 AMD Non-Touch appropriate for gaming, and could it run GTA 5?

Jakub_15

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
I was wondering whether the DELL New Inspiron 17 5000 AMD Non-Touch would be a good computer for gaming and whether GTA 5 would work on the computer. I do not seek solely a gaming computer, as I would use the computer for other activities as well, such as school and work; I'm wondering if it is capable of effectively, but not excessively (I don't need professional gaming performance) running GTA 5.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-17-5765-laptop/dndog2amd2415h

I currently have a Macbook Pro 13" (2015) and was also wondering whether the purchase would be a wise decision.

Solution
The original laptop you selected cannot play GTA 5 very well.

However, the Dell XPS 15 can. It is basically the same as the Dell Inspiron 15 I recommended. The difference is that the Dell XPS 15 has very thin bezels which makes that 15" laptop more like the size of a 14" laptop and it is also very light at 4lbs. It has an aluminum chassis rather than plastic and the IPS screen the Dell XPS 15 has is also much more color accurate than what the Dell Inspiron 15 has; though that only really matters if you are editing photos is a serious hobby or your profession. It has a better WiFi adapter as well.

Overall, the Dell XPS 15 is a great laptop if you are looking for a combination of portability, performance, and business-like demeanor.
It is a rather weak laptop for the $800. I recommend the following 15" Dell Inspiron 7567 laptop for the same price,but with much better performance.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop?ref=108_recs_ttl&c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

The quad core i5-7300HQ is a lot more powerful than the FX-9800P. Additionally, the Radeon R7 M445 is only slightly more powerful than a nVidia 920m. However, the laptop I recommended has a GTX 1050 which is more powerful than a GTX 960m. That means the GTX 1050 is far superior to the Radeon R7 M445.

The following link displays game benchmarks from notebookcheck for all the graphics chips I have mentioned. GTA 5 is all the to the right.
http://tinyurl.com/zo44tjl

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Additionally, the FX laptop processors are often thermally limited by the configurable TDP that laptop manufacturers limit them too. The CPU can then either focus its priority on graphics processing power or CPU processing power (which usually takes a back seat in gaming, which slows down framerate anyway) to try to maintain that TDP. It usually doesn't work out well.

The i5-7300HQ/1050 is a very good combination for a decent gaming laptop. That's where I'd spend my money as well.

Jakub_15

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Do you think it could handle the game though? I was hoping to purchase a regular use computer that I could play GTA 5 on, on the side. I need a computer that can handle the game, that isn't necessarily a professional gaming computer, because I'll be using it primarily for school or work.

Are there any better options that aren't necessarily gaming computers?

Jakub_15

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
See, I am asking if there is a home or office laptop, that would be able to handle the game (effectively, so with relatively good performance, but I dont need the best), that would be able to handle GTA 5. This computer I would use primarily for school and office work, and I would like to play GTA 5 on it as well, however not very frequently. Would the computer that I selected handle the game well? Or are there other *non-gaming* computers that can handle it better at around the same price?

Thanks for the help, sorry if my response lacks clarity, its a bit hard to explain in writing. :)

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
The original laptop you selected cannot play GTA 5 very well.

However, the Dell XPS 15 can. It is basically the same as the Dell Inspiron 15 I recommended. The difference is that the Dell XPS 15 has very thin bezels which makes that 15" laptop more like the size of a 14" laptop and it is also very light at 4lbs. It has an aluminum chassis rather than plastic and the IPS screen the Dell XPS 15 has is also much more color accurate than what the Dell Inspiron 15 has; though that only really matters if you are editing photos is a serious hobby or your profession. It has a better WiFi adapter as well.

Overall, the Dell XPS 15 is a great laptop if you are looking for a combination of portability, performance, and business-like demeanor.

Solution