Is the Intel Core i5 3230M good enough for gaming??

Ajeff37

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
I'm looking to buy a new laptop that I can use to play games like battlefield 4 & ghosts (all on low settings). The laptop I've found that's within my price range (less than $850), has an i5 3230m and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB. The gpu is good enough for what I need, but I'm not sure if the CPU will be powerful enough to play any of the newer games coming out. Will it last or should I pay an extra $150 for a i7 3632qm?

Most games do not use more than 2 cores. However, BF 3 and BF 4 benefits from quad core in multiplayer mode. A quad core CPU generally not help with games that can only make use of up to 2 cores.

If you are able to spend the extra $150, then I recommend you buy a similar laptop, but with a more powerful graphics chip. Games are more limited by the GPU than the CPU so a more powerful GPU + less powerful CPU laptop will provide better overall performance than a laptop with a more powerful CPU and a less powerful GPU.

Ajeff37

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
The cheapest laptops with a better GPU costs around 200 - 300 more and they have terrible CPU's, yay australian prices haha. I only plan on playing games with settings turned all the way down, will that graphics card be able to handle games like battlefield that way?

LummusMaximus

Honorable
To answer your questions: yes, but who wants to play games on low? If anything, you could get something good from MSY (Aussie!), i recommend looking at their HP laptops. They're well priced.

Ajeff37

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
haha no one wants to do that. I might be building a gaming pc in the next couple of months if I can get a decent job so i wanna use the laptop to game until then and I want it to be able to last a little longer if i don't end up building the pc. I had a look at those laptops and the ones that are equal to or better than the one I'm looking at are a little out of my price range.

This is the one I'm going to buy if I can't find an alternative. I have two 4gb ram sticks that I'm going to throw into when it arrives so RAM isn't an issue.
http://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/toshiba-l50-core-i5-4gb-750gb-nvidia-2gb-15.6-inch-laptop-pskjpa-00e00u/PSKJPA-00E00U?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Laptops&utm_term=TOSHIBA+L50+Core+i5+4GB+750GB+Nvidia+2GB+15+6+inch+Laptop+PSKJPA

Ajeff37

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
It goes alright haha. I'm totally open with going for an AMD chip the problem is i know absolutely nothing about them. What are the AMD equivalents to the specs in that laptop??

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Okay, I don't know much about AMD chips but here goes:

Go for A8 or A10, anything lower is low performance.

As for GPU, Bigger number means more fast. That's all I know. I could recommend a specific system, if that's helpful at all:

The (from MSY) HP ProBook 455 G1 ($750). That's a good system that'll game well.

Ajeff37

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Seems all right, the gpu and cpu are a bit weaker than the Toshibas, do you know anymore amd laptops with a bit more power?? My budgets $850 but I can go for $1000 if the laptops absolutely amazing for it's price.

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Well, as far as I know, there's a HP Pavilion 15 that's $50 more. A10 processor, but weaker GPU. If the Toshiba represents good performance for your price, that's that I suppose. However, here's two build quality accounts, and I've poked both systems:

The Pavilion has a rock-hard keyboard deck, no flex at all. "Borrowed" it from little brother to poke a bit. But i have a friend with a very similar model to the Toshiba, and there's a bit of keyboard deck flex and one of his side panels is coming off so he can't remove his wireless mouse dongle.

Ajeff37

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Yer I saw that one as well got excited until I saw the GPU haha, why can't companies just make a component better without downgrading another.
Yer I was playing with Toshiba in a computer store and the build quality does feel kinda sketchy compared to other laptops, but it is pretty powerful. Guess I'll keep searching or wait for mwave to throw a decent computer on special. Or just buy a goat or something like that

TRENDING THREADS