Is the lenevo y510p worth it?

xero99

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hi, I've been looking into getting a new laptop and found the lenovo y510p; it's a bit out of my price range but i could afford it if i save up for a bit longer. I will be using it for moderate gaming (replaces the need for Xbox one), but i am also planning to use it for photoshop. Is it too specialized for gaming or will it also be good for video/photo editing, or should i opt for a lower price laptop that isn't so gaming orientated?
Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (2.4 GHz, 3.40 GHz with TurboBoost, 6 MB cache)
1 TB SATA, 5400 rpm, 24 GB SSD
16 GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750 2 GB GDDR5
15.6" LED 1920 x 1080

Solution
No its a good laptop especially for the price. Its hard to find any other laptop with similar specs and build quality in the same price range.

Its not specialized for just gaming. It is excellent for Photoshop and video editing since it has a strong cpu and a lot of ram and a discrete graphic card.

You can also get even more discounts if buying from the Lenovo website if you are a student at a university or if you use the EPP site.

oczdude8

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
No its a good laptop especially for the price. Its hard to find any other laptop with similar specs and build quality in the same price range.

Its not specialized for just gaming. It is excellent for Photoshop and video editing since it has a strong cpu and a lot of ram and a discrete graphic card.

You can also get even more discounts if buying from the Lenovo website if you are a student at a university or if you use the EPP site.

Solution

oczdude8

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
You can get a similar desktop for about the same price (considering UK prices are a bit higher then North America), however it would be slightly stronger since mobile branded parts are slightly weaker then desktop variants. The only noticeable difference you will find between the two will be in synthetic benchmarks, at the cost of a lot more power consumption, no mobility, and heat.

Of course, if your going to put the laptop on your table and never move it, a desktop is definitely better.

Also on a side note, on the y510p, you can purchase and additional gt750m and insert it into the optical drive bay. This means you can have SLI on your laptop!

xero99

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Im currently deciding whether to purchase a y510p or build a desktop for the same price. Normally id prefer a laptop as i can take it away and use it anywhere, so i might buy the y510p then later when i want to upgrade i'll be able to put in a better HDD and another graphics card in the ultrabay which is really neat as normally laptops aren't so easily upgradable.
Thanks for your help.

xero99

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Im currently deciding whether to purchase a y510p or build a desktop for the same price. Normally id prefer a laptop as i can take it away and use it anywhere, so i might buy the y510p then later when i want to upgrade i'll be able to put in a better HDD and another graphics card in the ultrabay which is really neat as normally laptops aren't so easily upgradable.
Thanks for your help.

oczdude8

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
yea it has an msata port, which will let u install an bigger ssd on it and still have a huge 1tb drive as storage! I have the older y580 and I have a 256gb crucial m4 as mt boot drive and a 1tb drive as my storage. Its funny because my laptop has more storage than my desktop.