Is The Pixel 2 XL's Screen Really That Bad? Here's Our Take

Status
Not open for further replies.

william.p.adams

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
I don't quite understand the article. It seems mostly to be falling in line, rather than actually being truthful. I took the image of the S8, 2XL, and V30 and uploaded them to a color picker to get the hex codes. The white area of the S8 shows RGB code: R: 188 G: 223 B: 245, whereas the 2XL shows RGB code: R: 191 G: 226 B: 248, which is really close, vs the V30 which shows RGB code: R: 149 G: 196 B: 231, much further off. Picking the Iphone 8, 2xl, S8 image, and clicking on the red ESPN logo shows me, for the iphone: RGB code: R: 228 G: 1 B: 9, for the 2XL: RGB code: R: 248 G: 20 B: 25, and the S8: RGB code: R: 243 G: 9 B: 42.

I know that there's some amount of eye of the beholder effect going on here, but are you (and many people) having a bit of a Group Think thing going on?

dpenney

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
The iPhone whites look pretty grey in that top pic - perhaps it's something you need to see firsthand as opposed to looking at pics on yet another screen.

dpenney

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
The iPhone whites look pretty grey in that top pic - perhaps this is something that needs to be seen firsthand and not via pics viewed on yet another screen...

william.p.adams

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
The data doesn't like, though. Even if every screen there is tinted by the camera, or my screen, they are in the same shot from the same camera, so comparisons of coloration in the same image means they're all tint d, and the 2xl is comparable to the S8

sced06

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
I don't agree at all. I spent an hour today comparing the 2xl with the Note 8 and my current samsung s6 edge +
The pixel 2xl was better looking than my s6, whites were whiter, text was sharper, colors were just as good. Compared to the Note 8, yes the colors are more saturated but to me, the note8 only looks better on the home screen with the icons and I'm not even sure that it was that much better. When viewing google maps for example or reading a story on the net, I thought the Pixel 2xl looked definitely better.

Status
Not open for further replies.