Is there a solution to jam a the camera of unauthorized mobile phone in a facility?

johnfernandes

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
I have a customer looking for a solution to jam camera's of unauthorized devices mobile phones within his facility. Is there a solution to selectively block devices that are unknown?

I only know of phone jamming devices which are not legal in many countries, and they only jam the mobile reception / wireless over a short range - not the camera.

The best solution for security in terms of mobile devices is to ask non-employees to hand these in at the entry checkpoint, and for them to be secured until the person leaves.

If the security staff have a RF wand handy they can then check after for hidden devices.

You need to be aware that by asking people to hand over their phones your company is therefore taking responsibility for the device should it be damaged or lost whilst they are there. Your friend therefore needs to modify their pubic liability insurance policy accordingly.

This is not the same as parking a car in a hotel garage. By asking people to hand in their phones to be able to pass a secure entry point, you must therefore provide a lockable storage facility for their phone / BYOD until they leave.

This is the sort of system in place for secure workplaces - R&D labs and some military facilities.

Reactions: daustin792

USAFRet

Illustrious
Selectively block only the camera on unauth devices? No.
Airplane mode ON, WiFi OFF, Bluetooth OFF - the camera still works as a 'camera'. No connection with the outside world, nothing to detect.
Click, save the image to local storage.

I work in a military facility, and all such devices are banned outright. All of them, no matter who you are.
Mobile phones, cameras, PDA, smart watch, tablet, any laptop not preauthorized cannot come into the building past the lobby.
There is a sensor at the door to detect any such devices.
And a 50 bay lockbox for your small devices. Or, leave it in your car.

First offense, your boss yells at you.
Second offense, the "branch manager/CEO" yells at you.
Third offense, instant firing.

Selectively block only the camera on unauth devices? No.
Airplane mode ON, WiFi OFF, Bluetooth OFF - the camera still works as a 'camera'. No connection with the outside world, nothing to detect.
Click, save the image to local storage.

I work in a military facility, and all such devices are banned outright. All of them, no matter who you are.
Mobile phones, cameras, PDA, smart watch, tablet, any laptop not preauthorized cannot come into the building past the lobby.
There is a sensor at the door to detect any such devices.
And a 50 bay lockbox for your small devices. Or, leave it in your car.

First offense, your boss yells at you.
Second offense, the "branch manager/CEO" yells at you.
Third offense, instant firing.

I worked at a secure military place for a bit when I was in the Army, armed guards at the entrance past the security badge area, the word "firing" has different meanings in some areas hehe.