is there any good amd gaming laptop

candyassn64

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
I am in the market for a gaming laptop and my budget is about 1200$ but i am an nvidia guy and i don't know that much about amd so is there any good options from amd or should i just stick with Nvidia?

Solution
For $1,200 I would say you can get a laptop with a GTX 1060.

The Radeon RX 580 would be the closest AMD competitor, but it seems they are in pricier laptop. The least expensive on Amazon would be the following 17.3" HP Omen. In fact, it seems the RX 580 is only in 17.3" laptops. That's likely due to the fact that AMD GPU chips are not a power efficient as nVidia GPU chips which means they likely draw more power and generate more heat.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-OMEN-17-3-FHD-i7-7700HQ/dp/B073WQD4YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508514097&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+radeon+rx+580

Nvidia's GeForce 10 series was a game changer because it represents the first time when desktop GPU chips could be used in laptops as well without the need to cherry...
For $1,200 I would say you can get a laptop with a GTX 1060.

The Radeon RX 580 would be the closest AMD competitor, but it seems they are in pricier laptop. The least expensive on Amazon would be the following 17.3" HP Omen. In fact, it seems the RX 580 is only in 17.3" laptops. That's likely due to the fact that AMD GPU chips are not a power efficient as nVidia GPU chips which means they likely draw more power and generate more heat.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-OMEN-17-3-FHD-i7-7700HQ/dp/B073WQD4YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508514097&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+radeon+rx+580

Nvidia's GeForce 10 series was a game changer because it represents the first time when desktop GPU chips could be used in laptops as well without the need to cherry pick and test GPU chips to find out if they can or cannot be used in laptop. An example would be cherry picked desktop GTX 980 GPUs used in laptops. AMD still needs to go through the process of two separate GPUs; one for desktops and the other for laptops.

Solution

candyassn64

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from candyassn64 : "I want to get the most for my money buying a gaming laptop"

Hi guys i want to buy a gaming laptop witch gets me the most for my money and i want it to be relatively light and thin with a good screen my budget is 1250$ and i think i can raise it by 1350$ by next month and i dream of the 1070 :) and my other question i
Is it worth it to wait for cyper monday and is Christmas deals better hypothetically?

Finstar

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
MERGED QUESTION
Question from candyassn64 : "is there any good amd gaming laptop"

As of now there's really no good all AMD gaming laptops. But they should be releasing their new Zen based APUs early next year.