Is this a decent gaming laptop?

mrbrilla

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Just wondering. It won't be used for hardcore gaming, mainly games like RuneScape, Minecraft, WoW, Kerbal Space Program, ETC. Thanks!

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/E2E11AV?HP-ENVY-TouchSmart-17t-j100-Quad-Edition-Notebook-PC-ENERGY-STAR-

Solution

It will be able to run any game just fine. You could run any minecraft mods you wanted in any configuration and this computer would still perform. Also it should be able to run most new games really well. Anyways good luck on your build!

V0RTEX

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Hey mrbrilla,

This computer is very nice for casual gaming because of multiple reasons..

- 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor

This is a really nice processor even just for casual use.

- Intel® HD Graphics

Or

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory

Out of these two options on the site I would really suggest going with the NVIDA mobile graphics. They are alot better and there is a big difference.

- 8GB DDR3

You won't need anymore since you will only being casual games and other daily activities.

- 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

A terabyte is really nice since you will never have to worry about space.

Other than that if you are going to get this laptop it will fit you needs perfectly. You could upgrade the graphics so you can have some more eyecandy and video performance but other than that this is great for you.

mrbrilla

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Yeah, I'm going to add the graphics card and a backlight keyboard. So, it should run Minecraft with mods just fine? And also, could it run some newer games? I.E. Arma?

V0RTEX

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

It will be able to run any game just fine. You could run any minecraft mods you wanted in any configuration and this computer would still perform. Also it should be able to run most new games really well. Anyways good luck on your build!

Solution

V0RTEX

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Yes it's good for the price. But just like any computer, building one yourself will always be cheaper.

V0RTEX

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

I meant taking the same parts to make a desktop. Of course you can't build a laptop. :p