Is this a good used laptop to purchase?

Judge123

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hello,

I am in the market for a laptop I can use for school and games. I have not purchased new games in a long time thus I do not need anything terribly high end. Minimum I would like to be able to play Civilization V on any visual settings and league of legends. I also have other games I would like to be able to play like XCOM, Skyrim, LA Noire, and Bioshock Infinite. Those last three are the most demanding games that I have. I also have Crysis but I care less about that one. I looked at a guide for buying used laptops and what to check for when I pick the computer up. I found a used laptop on craigslist from the ASUS ROG line and I wanted to ask people what they thought about that laptop. I will list the link to the ad at the end of the thread but it is the ASUS G74SX-A1. The guy wants $300 for the computer. Does anyone else own this computer and know how it stands up over time? Is the price right or to much? It comes with a GTX 560M how good of a video card is that? Will it be able to run the games I listed? Also, if someone could provide any other alternatives for buying used laptops please let me know. Lastly, if there is new laptop that can meet my specifications please let me know. Thank you very much for any assistance people can provide, I appreciate your time.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/syd/5449665576.html

Solution
That is not a bad price for that laptop, it would be very tough to find a better system for the price. While not super good for a dedicated gaming laptop, it has the specs of a new $6-700 system.

Since it's available locally, make sure you run a few benchmark tests on it to make sure it does not crash on you, run Prime95 to test for CPU/RAM/Heat issues and 3DMark to make sure video card is stable.

Keep in mind that many people on craigslist post a higher price than they want since they know people will try to bargain, you can probably offer $250 or even start lower and see what they say.

Judge123

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

But you still think it is a snag at that price? Will it run the games I mentioned well? Also, is it hard to upgrade graphics cards on laptops? Oh and btw since the seller is very far from me it will probably cost me $30 in gas to get to him round trip. Not sure if it is still a snag at that price.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I am currently playing on a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

That is not a bad price for that laptop, it would be very tough to find a better system for the price. While not super good for a dedicated gaming laptop, it has the specs of a new $6-700 system.

Since it's available locally, make sure you run a few benchmark tests on it to make sure it does not crash on you, run Prime95 to test for CPU/RAM/Heat issues and 3DMark to make sure video card is stable.

Keep in mind that many people on craigslist post a higher price than they want since they know people will try to bargain, you can probably offer $250 or even start lower and see what they say.

Solution

Judge123

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

Thank you for the suggestions and price comparison. I also saw a ASUS ROG G750 listed. It included a gtx 770m and was asking for $700 obo. I was thinking of making a low offering like $350 and hoping nobody else is interested. How much better is the 770m than 560m. Also, I know the m stand for mobile for is there any difference between the 770m and the 770? And if there is how much of a difference? What would be the price of a new computer with similar specs as the G750? Also, He said the graphics card is "770m nvidia for clocked: what does :for clocked" mean?

Here are the specs:
It is an Asus Rog g750
16 gigs of ddr3 ram
Gpu: 770m nvdia for clocked
I7 Intel I believe 4 core processor
And it is a 17.3 inch display

Here is the ad: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/sys/5450725303.html

I also saw this laptop http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/sys/5448089735.html
it is $750 obo. And samething I would probably just ask $350 and see what he says.

Which, of those two computers is better?

Thanks for all the help.