Is this laptop customizable (first time laptop buyer)

Jun 24, 2018
Laptop name: GT73VR Titan Pro-865

I’m planning on buying a laptop from MSI. I tried their forums the app is pretty bad. Anyways, I wanted to know if this laptop was customizable (ex: switching graphics cards)

Solution
No the internal GPU is likely not replaceable. Even if it is no company sells laptop form factor GPU's that I am aware of. You could get an external GPU enclosure and power supply for it if you want, but that kind of defeats the point of getting a laptop in the first place, you would be better off getting a desktop that is infinitely customizable and much cheaper for the same amount of compute power.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
No the internal GPU is likely not replaceable. Even if it is no company sells laptop form factor GPU's that I am aware of. You could get an external GPU enclosure and power supply for it if you want, but that kind of defeats the point of getting a laptop in the first place, you would be better off getting a desktop that is infinitely customizable and much cheaper for the same amount of compute power.

Solution

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
The only things in laptops that can be changed easily are additional memory and swapping out HDDs/SSDs. Other than these 2 items, buy a laptop with the specs that you need, because there's no upgrade path.

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
If you buy Eurocom or some of the other boutique vendors you will get a socketed CPU as well as an MXM GPU which can be upgraded later on. These machines are usually FULLY configurable at purchase, right down to keyboards.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Configurable at purchase, sure.
Not later.

A socketed CPU is irrelevant if you want to change it in 2 years, and the only option is a CPU that is 2-3 generations old.

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Just giving options to the OP, and I would't bother with the CPU upgrade either it was just a note of interest rather. The GPU upgrade however has been of use to some users though from my research there are sometimes BIOS or cooling capacity issues when going to a higher end module later on. Since the 10X0 series it's been less so due to the process shrink. Also these machines are made directly by the same ODM's that build most of the other "brands", MSI included so there is some parts interchangeabilty despite what one would expect.