Is this laptop worth repairing?

StevenJohnson21

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
I have an Alienware 17 from 2013 with the following specs: i7 4800MQ 32 GB DDR3 RAM NVIDIA GeForce 780m with 4 GB GDDR5 memory Twin 750 GB HDDs in Raid 0 with 64 GB SSD boot drive Killer Wireless Network Adapter 1080p FHD 3D Display

Today, my motherboard shorted out. Dell wants $450 and a couple weeks to fix it. Is this system worth it or am I better off buying new? The battery was recently replaced and it has not been devoid of problems, but I know the specs would be expensive to replicate. Thank you in advance!

RealBeast

Distinguished
You have a couple of other options besides the Dell repair. You could buy a board off EBay and do it yourself, but I will assume that you don't work on laptops and it is a bit more complex than a simple desktop build.

Another option would be to buy a refurbished model from the Dell Factory Outlet. They have the Alienware 17 R3 and R4 models around $1100 as you can see HERE. They come with a one year warranty and there are a variety available. I often buy refurb Dell laptops and then upgrade parts off EBay to get exactly what I need.

Last choice is to sell your broken machine for parts use and buy new, although that is expensive.