Is this Lenovo Ideapad really as useless as it seems?

Jul 7, 2018
I am wondering if my Lenovo Ideapad 320s is a useless computer.

It functions like a 600 euro doorstop.

4gb ram, 1tb hdd, nvidea 920mx gfx, i5 8250u processor.

It took me 20 minutes to get to the point where my browser worked and I could post this thread from the time of booting my computer.

I have very little in startup, have bitdefender and not mcafee, and no bloatware.

I have latest nvidea gfx installed and even on the absolute lowest settings I can hardly play WoW.

What was the point of adding a dedicated gpu to this machine if I can't even play an ancient game like WoW on the lowest settings?

All this computer does is stutter freeze and whirr.

I have had it for a week and I am sick of it.

Is 600 euros not enough to get a working laptop these days?

Has windows made its OS so advanced that basic hardware struggles with it all the time?

My last laptop, a dell 2-in-1 inspiron 3000 with an m3 processor was just a little worse.

I want to throw my laptop out the window 5 times a day.

What the hell do I do?

Solution
Before returning the laptop, there are a few things you can do:

1. Reset Windows from the Settings app (Settings>Update & Security>Recovery). Since the laptop is only 1 week old, there may be several important updates waiting to be installed.

2. Use the Novo button on the right side of the computer. This will bring up a basic menu with 3 or 4 options, one of which is 'System Recovery'. Selecting this option will return the laptop to its factory settings.

3. With only 4GBs of RAM available, you could also disable all notifications (or as many as Windows will allow) to reduce the load. Settings>System>Notifications & actions.

NOTE: (1) will allow you to keep personal files, but the feature is very unstable. (2) will wipe everything on...
Before returning the laptop, there are a few things you can do:

1. Reset Windows from the Settings app (Settings>Update & Security>Recovery). Since the laptop is only 1 week old, there may be several important updates waiting to be installed.

2. Use the Novo button on the right side of the computer. This will bring up a basic menu with 3 or 4 options, one of which is 'System Recovery'. Selecting this option will return the laptop to its factory settings.

3. With only 4GBs of RAM available, you could also disable all notifications (or as many as Windows will allow) to reduce the load. Settings>System>Notifications & actions.

NOTE: (1) will allow you to keep personal files, but the feature is very unstable. (2) will wipe everything on your computer, and (3) may not yield any significant improvement due to modest RAM and the mechanical HDD.

Echoing rgd1101's first suggestion, I also think it's worth the time to search for other laptops in this price range. Not knowing where you live, I can't really suggest any relevant rival laptops.

While the 320S is available with 8GBs of RAM and various SSD options, opening the bottom cover to upgrade RAM and storage may void the warranty, depending on your particular market.

Solution