Question Is this really malware?

ben100

Honorable
Jan 21, 2017
Avast antivirus scan is showing a threat Win32:Malware-gen in the infected file System32\autochk.exe. I have scanned with Malwarebytes & it has come back completely clean so is this actually malware & should I ignore it in Avast or resolve which it says threats will be repaired, quarantined or deleted?

is your avast and malwarebytes up to date?

update your BIOS of the laoptop as well, could be an implemented mechanism in the BIOS to trace your laptop. Some laptop manufacturers offer this as a service

Last edited:

ben100

Honorable
Jan 21, 2017
is your avast and malwarebytes up to date?

update your BIOS of the laoptop as well, could be an implemented mechanism in the BIOS to trace your laptop. Some laptop manufacturers offer this as a service
Yes all up to date. Avast always does these scans & this is the first time that it has come back with anything.

I wouldn't trust Avast much. This is a pretty mediocre antivirus in my opinion.
Avast is freeware and not worse protecting your PC then others like AVIRA, AVG, Norton,...

You can try bitdefender if you like.

If this doesn´t detect a trojan or virus, you should be safe. Eventually contact AVAST with your problem, usually these antivirus companies are very helpful in such circumstances. It´s there business and something like this can cost them image and money :)

Which laptop are you using?

Last edited: