Is this right

Jose guapo

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
I bought a 12" 4ohms pioneer subwoofer with 1300 watts max and I have a 800 watt amplifier is that ok or do I need a amplifier with more watts?

Solution
It depends on the amp. IF the amp has 2 channels (channel A + B or L + R) and you put 1 speaker on each channel you're ok.
But if it's a mono amp and you put 2 speakers on it then you could hurt the amp by having too low an
impedance load. The issue is the ohms rating of the speaker, not the power rating. Two 4 ohms speakers on one channel of an amp equal a 2 ohm load which could hurt the amp due to excessive current draw. In this case it is the ohms ratings of the speakers and the minimum safe
amp load requirements, as measured in ohms, which are more important than the wattage specs.

chris-L

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
It depends on the amp. IF the amp has 2 channels (channel A + B or L + R) and you put 1 speaker on each channel you're ok.
But if it's a mono amp and you put 2 speakers on it then you could hurt the amp by having too low an
impedance load. The issue is the ohms rating of the speaker, not the power rating. Two 4 ohms speakers on one channel of an amp equal a 2 ohm load which could hurt the amp due to excessive current draw. In this case it is the ohms ratings of the speakers and the minimum safe
amp load requirements, as measured in ohms, which are more important than the wattage specs.

Solution