Is this still a good work/gaming laptop?

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,

I am looking for a laptop for work and play. I was looking to spend around $2000, but I don't know exactly how much I would be gaming locally. On the instances when I am away from home and not streaming my games, I would use it for some gaming. I know that it would be awesome for work, though, and that would be most of the time...M-F, 9-5. Anyhow, there is a significant price jump between this and my original budget, and a pretty big gaming performance jump, but would it be worth it?

I came across this for $850:

Clevo Sager P150EM NP9150
i7 2.4GHz,
ATI 7970M 2GB,
8GB, 128GB SSD + 500GB)
Display 15.6" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Sager Screen w/ 95% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080)
Intel® Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth™ 4.0

It has been in the case since it was purchased and looks pretty good.
(1) Is this a good computer for the price?
(2) Will this still be able to play games at a decent level (i.e. Total War games, BF3 + 4, Far Cry 3, Black Flag...all games, really)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970M.72675.0.html

As far as gaming is concerned, looks like you will get adequate frame rates, although you will need to play certain titles on medium or even low settings. It seems like it would be a decent laptop, but I can't say that for certain; searching that model number turns up a model with different specs than what you have listed. Maybe you could link to the exact product?

Solution

legoboye

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014

As far as the cpu goes, you might wanna a better one because BF 3-4 is very cpu heavy.
Graphics.... Nah wont do it, go after something with sli Graphic cards.
The SSD and Harddive is a pretty good combo, and 8 gbs of ram should get you started, but you might get something with space to upgrade.
The Display should be fantastic, but im not a monitor-expert.

All this for 850$ thats pretty good, but it might be noisy. Gl Mate (M8)