Question Issues with booting Toshiba Satellite L505, details in description

Jan 14, 2023
I have an older laptop that is having some issues booting. When restarting it stays on the black and white screen and says 'No bootable device --insert disk and press any key' when I insert my bootable USB drive with Windows 7 Home on it and eventually restart it, it gets to the setup/install page for Win 7 but on the partition page, it doesn't list any drivers and can't find any by choosing the browse for driver's option.

I don't think it's still doing it anymore, but it used to go to the wonderful Blue Screen of Death and saying 'Unmountable Boot Volume".

It still will not show/ go into Safe Mode no matter what method I try.

I think I just need to download drivers onto my bootable USB drive and reinstall onto the Toshiba but not positive and not sure where to get the drivers? Is there a package that has all the necessary drivers in it to get it start up and allow Wi-Fi? Right now, I don't think there is an OS on it but there will be once I'm able to get a clean install done or new OS put on that will repair the drivers. I have an activated Win 7 and a few newer ones to choose from as well once/if I can get the driver's installed. I'm even willing to use torrent files (if needed).

Any and all help/suggestions area greatly appreciated. I've heard it all already so don't be shy lol.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023
I originally was going to upgrade it to like 10 but then I was going to dual boot with linux but unsure which one of the many distros lol. So I was just going to put 7 back on since its not finding all the drivers (keyboard, touch pad, display, usb ports work) but something in the boot menu to install isn't there. Its mainly going to be used for streaming movies onto the tv in the long run. What ever it takes to get it running will be fine. I had another person from a different site tell me that there's nothing to do cause of the Unmountable boot drive and put Ubuntu on it.

I have even tried the press and hold 0 trick to get into the recovery part but it's still a no go.

Jan 14, 2023
I suspect, at a minimum, that you need to replace the HDD. Then you can perform a clean installation of your OS of choice.

That rig is rather old.
Thats what I was afraid of lol. Don't have the 💲💲for it right now. Thank you so much for the help tho. In the long run it would be cheaper and beneficial to just get a newer one.